How to survive Res Tower

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

So… you’ve waited all summer to find out where you’re going to be living in the fall. You’ve already begun packing and are counting down the days until Move-In Day.  Then the email from Housing and Residence Life arrives and you see these two words:

Residence Tower

You begin to panic because you’ve heard rumors that it’s a dumpy building. Residence Tower is one of the oldest buildings on campus that hasn’t been renovated yet, and has been called “The Projects” of Towson.  You’ve heard that it has lofted beds and dread the thought of having to literally climb in and out of bed every day.

Last year during a concert on campus, my friend and I were talking to two freshmen who lived there.  I told them that I’d lived there my freshman year and one of them asked me, “How did you get out?”

I got out of Res Tower because it was the end of the semester and I had to be moved out after Finals were over. Despite what you’ve heard, it’s a great place to live because of the community that forms in it. There are four quads on each floor — typically two for guys and two for girls. You’re guaranteed to find your floor mates hanging out in the common room doing homework, watching TV, or even taking a nap. You’ll make friends fast in Res Tower.

Another cool thing about the building is that the first four floors house the international students — the Global Village.  When you live in Res Tower you literally get the chance to meet people from around the world. Every spring the building holds an event called “Around the World in 13 Floors” where each floor decorates their common room with stuff from other countries. This event attracts a big crowd at TU and is definitely worth going to or participating in.   

Don’t believe the rumors; Residence Tower is a great dorm for your first year at TU. So keep counting down the days until you’re in Tigertown, because you’re going to have the best year of your college experience. 

Junior at Towson University. Political Science major, Mass Communication minor. Raised Right. Lover of all things figure skating, the Baltimore Ravens, coffee and mixed drinks. Twitter: @Melliiisssaaaa Instagram: @Melliiissssaaaaa