How to Be the Best LGBTQIA+ Ally You Can Be

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

2015 has been an amazingly progressive year for the LGBTQIA+ community. From legalization of same-sex marriage all around the world to ammendments of anti-discrimination laws that will now protect people against discrimination of sexual orientation or gender identity, the LGBTQIA+ community is now being given their fundamental rights as human beings that they have been fighting for since 1924. 

If you do not identify as LGBTQIA+ but support the entire community, you are an ally. Listed below are a few tips on how to be the best ally of the LGBTQIA+ community you can be.

1. Let It Go, Let It Go“: First and foremost, you need to let go of your bias. Now, we all have them/ had them and the best way we can be amazing supporters of amazing people would be to let it all go. Some allies had a long road to accepting and supporting the LGBTQIA+ community, which is commendable, but people do not change overnight. If you still have a bias about anyone who identifies as LGBTQIA+, you should take steps that will help you let them go.
  2. “Education”: Being educated is probably the best and most efficient way you can be an ally because with knowledge comes understanding. Being knowledgeable of LGBTQIA+ struggles, pronouns, sex and gender identities, and culture will help you become more than just a person who supports equal rights but also someone who supports the community on a  well-versed level. Being knowledgeable about the LGBTQIA+ community will also make you less prone to accidentally offending a member of the community. For example: considering Caitlyn Jenner a “he” could be offensive to her, even if you did not mean for it to be because you simply did not know. By educating yourself on aspects of the community such as this, you’ll avoid being offensive and better yourself as an ally. 
  3. “Application”: Applying your newfound knowledge of the LGBTQIA+ community is important for an ally because your voice matters. You may be the voice that stops that kid from bullying the LGBTQIA+ kid. You may be the voice that votes for the legalization of same-sex marriage in your state. You may be the voice that turns someone that was against the LGBTQIA+ community into an ally. You may also be the voice that helps the kid struggling with their identity not feel alone even if you aren’t dealing with the same internal battles they are. There are so many ways to apply what you know about the LGBTQIA+ community that will be beneficial not only to them but to your character as well. Standing up for what you believe in is a riveting feeling that you can feel if you apply your support for the LGBTQIA+ where it’s needed.

Hopefully these tips on being the best LGBTQIA+ ally you can be will encourage you to further your education of this community and support them however you can! Keep Calm and Pride On!

"Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain... To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices - today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it." - Kevyn Aucoin ♡     Dominique Melton Dominique Melton is a student at Towson University studying Mass Communication with a track in Public Relations with a minor in Business Administration. She dreams to work in the fashion industry once she graduates, as she has not only a passion for writing but fashion as well.  Speaking of her passions she also loves: • live music • photography • singing • shopping • health/fitness   Fun facts about her include: • She's been to 151 concerts and listens to everything from rock to r&b, edm to alternative, indie to hip-hop, and blues to pop • She's a girl who can code! • She loves to learn which makes for great conversation • She is a massive One Direction fan and knows everything about them...literally everything • She learned how to play the piano and guitar by ear • She has performed at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.   You can follow her on Twitter here and Instagram here!
Her Campus

Towson '25