Harry Potter World Hogwarts
Harry Potter World Hogwarts
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Harry Potter Easter Eggs in ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Nifflers and Bowtruckles are all good and fun, but if you’re like me, you tend to miss the old days of Pigmy Puffs and Hippogriffs. Don’t get me wrong, the mere fact that J.K. Rowling is still creating new and exciting elements of the Wizarding World couldn’t make me happier. But, I do feel that nostalgic longing for the past, for the witches and wizards I have spent so much more time with and have grown to love as my close friends. In the first film of the new five-part series, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”, there had been few allusions to the past (or future I should say) besides the inclusion of the notorious villain Grindelwald. Now with the sequel finally released, J.K. Rowling has given us Potter heads exactly what we want: a foreshadowing of our beloved “Harry Potter” tale. Rowling uses the perfect mixture of new and old with small insights into the original books and movies that make hearts beat fast with excitement. Although they are present, they are also easy to miss if you aren’t searching for them. Here are a few of the Harry Potter Easter eggs to look for in the newest “Fantastic Beasts” film.

1.Hogwarts

Okay, you may not have missed this one. But man, didn’t it just make your heart flutter to be back at Hogwarts? Seeing all of the young witches and wizards, our old friends, and our old professors is a beautiful reunion. We get to see the old halls and classrooms, we get to see Professor McGonagall, and most importantly we get to see the one and only wizarding king: Albus Dumbledore. So, get your brooms ready, we’re going back to school!

2.The Mirror of Erised

In “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s/Philosopher’s Stone”, Harry discovers a mirror that reflects an image of his parents living rather than dead as they are. Dumbledore reveals that the mirror’s power is that it reflects your deepest desires. “What do you see when you look in the mirror?” Harry asks. “I see myself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks.” Dumbledore says. “It was only when he was back in bed that it struck Harry that Dumbledore might not have been quite truthful. But then, he thought, as he shoved Scabbers off his pillow, it had been quite a personal question.” Rowling writes. Untruthful and quite personal indeed. In this new film, Dumbledore’s desire is finally revealed to us, and it is definitely not a pair of woolen socks. 

3.Boggarts

There is a very familiar scene in this new film that may make you feel a form of déjà vu. No, you are not crazy, you’ve seen it before, in a way. The Boggart scene where Dumbledore teaches students to use the Riddikulus spell on their darkest fears is almost identical in substance and set design to the scene in “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” where Professor Lupin teaches the exact same thing. In this scene, we get to see the origin of Remus Lupin’s Defense Against the Dark Arts teaching style and Dumbledore’s influence.

4.Thestrals

It’s called “Fantastic Beasts”, is it not? What about the beasts we have grown to love in previous years? Do they just show up in the Wizarding World’s future? Well, in this new film we will see some of our old furry (or not so furry) friends. Thestrals can only be seen if you have witnessed someone dying. They lead the Hogwarts carriages and are used for transportation like a horse and buggy. In the film, we get to see our old, boney thestral friends pulling carts–filled with some quite wicked wizards–throughout the sky.

5.Nagini

That slithering serpent of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named makes an interesting appearance in the new film. The horcruxed creature is not quite how we remember her and has an interesting backstory that may make you look at the scaly snake in a different light. 

6.The Elder Wand

In “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” we learn about the powerful Elder Wand and go on an adventure to retrieve it in order to kill Voldemort. In the books, we find out that Grindelwald possessed the elder wand for a period of time, and in this film, we are reminded of this fact. Grindelwald does possess the power of the Elder Wand, and his evil has the terribly strong grip of death.

7.Polyjuice Potion

Remember when Hermione turned into a cat because of a faulty Polyjuice Potion? Well, we don’t get cat people in this film, but we do get to see the old Polyjuice Potion in action again through some of Newt Scamander’s sneaking around. 

8.Nicolas Flamel and the Sorcerer’s/Philosopher’s Stone

Nicolas Flamel, where have I heard that name before? You could try the back of Dumbledore’s chocolate frog card, or you could read/watch “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s/Philosopher’s Stone.” Nicolas Flamel is the immortal alchemist and creator of the Sorcerer’s/Philosopher’s Stone important to the first tale in the Harry Potter series. Flamel himself is not difficult to spot, you can see those wrinkles from a mile away, but the stone is not so easy. In a quick glimpse, you will be able to see the large ruby stone that Voldemort was after in the background of a shot. So, be on the lookout for that nostalgic little rock.

There are so many moments of foreshadowing that bring us back to our beloved Harry Potter world, but they can be hard to miss. Make sure to look out for these Easter eggs and more in “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”, you won’t want to miss them. So, pull out your Jelly Slugs, Chocolate Frogs, and Butterbeer for your movie snacking pleasure and go see your beloved Wizarding World projected once more on the big screen.

Hi! I am Briana, and I am a double major in English and EMF. I love books and movies (so I'm in the right majors)! My passions are stories and storytelling, I am intrigued by all things mystical and magical, and my favorite color is purple. :)