A Great Way to De-stress During Finals Week: Exercise!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Most college students get through finals week with a lot of caffeine, and very little sleep.  It is an extremely stressful time when a single test grade could make or break your overall grade.  However, there are many ways to de-stress during this time, such as hanging out with friends, sleeping, or eating your favorite junk food.  But what a lot of people might not know is that exercise isn’t just good for you, it can relieve stress and it can make you perform better on exams.  So, here is a list of tips and facts I’ve put together so you can put down the caffeine and hit the gym!

Enhance your Mood

Exercise, especially running, can elevate mood.  Exercise releases a neurotransmitter in the brain that makes you feel happier or feel less pain.

Perform Better on Tests

Exercising before an exam can help you perform well on it!  It wakes you up, gets your blood flowing easier, and helps you concentrate.   

Be Relaxed

Try a relaxing type of exercise like yoga.  It makes you more calm and focused.

Free yoga classes are offered Monday, Tuesday, and Thursdays in Burdick Hall and The West Village Commons!

Have more Energy

Exercise boots your energy! You will feel great after it and  you will be able to stay up longer to study without having to indulge in that extra cup of coffee.

Grab a Friend

Try exercising with a group of friends.  This way you can laugh along with your friends and talk about what is stressing you out.

Take a Class

Joining an exercise class is not only extremely beneficial, but they are fun and a great way to meet new people. Kickboxing, ab attack, tiger spin cardio and more are offered Monday-Friday in The West Village Commons and Burdick Hall.  There are a few classes also offered on Sundays!

Avoid Injury

If you don’t already exercise on a weekly basis, don’t start out too fast too soon.  You don’t want to have to deal with finals and an injury!

Multi Task

Some types of exercises allow you to work out and study at the same time! Try using the bike or elliptical while studying your notes.

Be Creative

Try something new! Since you don’t want to get bored with your normal routine, find another type of equipment or exercise that you don’t usually do.  You never know, you might love it!  Why not try rock climbing in Burdick Hall?

Have Fun

Make it fun! Listen to your favorite music and do types of exercises that you enjoy doing and are comfortable doing!

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.