Frank Beltre: Former Tiger Signs into NFL with San Diego Chargers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Recent graduate and former Towson Linebacker, Frank Beltre, signed a contract last Saturday to play in the National Football League (NFL).  Frank is joining the San Diego Chargers as an Outside Linebacker. He will also be on Special Teams.  We were lucky to get an exclusive telephone interview with this impressive alumnus and ask him about his experience starting his professional football career!

Photo Provided by Frank Beltre.

Her Campus:  First of all, congratulations and thank you for taking the time to answer some of our questions.  Did you have any idea you would be offered a position on the Chargers?

Frank Beltre: Thank you. Well, I knew before the draft that the Chargers were a potential team that could either pick me up in the draft, or sign me after the draft. They came to our Pro Day at Towson. Then I got invited to the Super Regional Combine in Texas and they were there also. They called me the day before the draft started, and again on April 27th with the offer.

HC: So what were you doing when you found out the good news?

FB: I was with family and playing with my 6-month-old niece.

HC: When did you start playing football?

FB: My freshman year of high school.

HC: Starting out as a high school freshman, did you ever imagine you would play in college and actually be playing in the NFL?

FB: No. I started playing football because of a bet. My friends told me I couldn’t start playing and start for the team. I told them I thought it was easy and they thought I was just making fun. I made a bet that I would start playing and become a starter, and I did. After that, I just liked it.

HC: Growing up, did you like the Chargers or did you have another favorite team?

FB: I didn’t really have a favorite team, I have favorite players.

HC: So who on the Chargers are you excited to meet and become teammates with?

FB: I am excited to be Manti Te’o’s teammate because I heard he has a good work ethic. Working out with him would be good—he’d be a good workout partner.

HC: How do you think Towson University and being a Tiger has helped prepare you to play professional football?

FB: I think that the rules Coach Ambrose has for his program are very strict and very similar to the NFL’s rules. You get the hang of it and by Senior year, you’re like, “Wow—Coach Ambrose really knows what he’s talking about!” because you mature. His goals were for us to work hard and be professional.

HC: Do you have a favorite football memory from Towson?

FB: Making a prediction on national television that we were going to win our first championship. I made that prediction on Media Day and that was a real bold statement—but we went that year and won it.

HC: Where would you like to be in a few years from now?

FB: I would like to be still playing and become a recognizable name for being a good player.

HC: Obviously, you’ll eventually retire from playing. Do you see yourself just enjoying the retired life or do you have goals for the far future?

FB: I majored in Sports Management with a minor in Business. I see myself opening a gym just to help guide athletes to start getting very serious, training, and to make sacrifices to achieve their dreams.

HC: So, when does training start?

FB: I leave May 9th and because I graduated early in the winter, I will be there all the way until training camp and will stay out there until they give us a break.

We all wish Frank the best of luck as he begins his career as a Charger and thank him again for his time.

Emmie G. is a graduating from the Honors College at Towson University where she is currently pre-law and majoring in English with a concentration in writing. In Fall 2013 she will attend law school.  She is the Vice President of Her Campus Towson as well as the author of the branch's advice column, Ask Andi. Writing is one of Emmie's favorite hobbies and she enjoys writing and editing articles for Her Campus. In 2012, Emmie was the managerial editor of and was published in a poetry anthology produced by her undergraduate class. 
Her Campus

Towson '25