Fall Weather brings the Common Cold to Towson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Fall is here and so is the common cold. Follow these tips to keep yourself healthy…and your friends!!!

As we have entered into the fall season, it’s fair to say that we’ve put away our shorts and flip-flops and pulled out our scarves, and boots.  Many of us, myself included, enjoy the fall weather-mainly because it is an excuse to go to the mall and get a new wardrobe! However, with cold weather, also come the sneezing, coughing, headaches and body ache. You know what I’m talking about, the awful common cold! The “cold” often reminds me of a trend. Once one person gets it, then everyone starts to get it.  But all I want to know is who started it and how can we stop it! Nonetheless, the cold is very contagious, and in order to protect yourself and others please remember, a cold virus enters your body through your mouth or nose, which means:

1. If you sneeze, or cough COVER YOUR MOUTH! -Your germs are flying in the air, and people are walking right into it.
  2. Wash your hands, or use sanitizer-You come into contact with thousands of germs a day just by touching doorknobs alone!
  3. Dress appropriately-Ladies it is cold outside, so try to bundle up and dress accordingly.
  4. Try to sustain a healthy diet to help maintain a strong immune system:
  • Eating Right—adding fruits and vegetables into your daily diet will allow your body to get enough vitamins, minerals, and fiber that it needs.
  • Getting an adequate amount of sleep (eight hours is always great if you can).
  • Staying active.

These are just some of the things that can help you from getting sick this fall season! If none of the above work…just remember that the common cold normally lasts from 4-7 days with proper rest and care!

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.