Breast Cancer Awareness Month: My Story :)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

We thank Ashley for being so honest in sharing her mother’s story of having breast cancer. During the month of October (Breast Cancer Awareness Month) we will be featuring stories of love, hope, and prevention.

Disbelief, sadness and anger were the emotions I felt when I found out my mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer. I was a freshman in high school when my mother broke the news to my brother and me. She explained that there was a lump in her left breast and after having a biopsy it concluded to be cancer.

After having a mastectomy, and chemotherapy treatments, the cancer was gone and there seemed to be hope for her, or so we thought. The cancer came back and every week that she would go to the hospital for more chemotherapy treatments I could see in her face that she was tired and it was beginning to be too much for her.

The cancer began to spread through my mom’s body over a six year period.  She passed away on Feb. 9, 2008. Being as though, my mother was the first person in our family to have cancer and the risks for me are potentially high. It is extremely important that we as women and even men know all the facts about breast cancer, treatments, and preventions so we protect ourselves.  

Here are some helpful Breast Cancer Self Awareness Recommendations from the Susan G. Komen Site :

1. Know your risk  

Talk to your family to learn about your family health history

Talk to your provider about your personal risk of breast cancer

2. Get screened

Ask your doctor which screening tests are right for you if you are at a higher risk

Have a mammogram every year starting at age 40 if you are at average risk

Have a clinical breast exam at least every 3 years starting at age 20, and every year starting at age 40

3. Know what is normal for you?

See your health care provider if you notice any of these breast changes:

• Lump, hard knot or thickening inside the breast or underarm area
      • Swelling, warmth, redness or darkening of the breast
      • Change in the size or shape of the breast
      • Dimpling or puckering of the skin
      • Itchy, scaly sore or rash on the nipple
      • Pulling in of your nipple or other parts of the breast
      • Nipple discharge that starts suddenly
      • New pain in one spot that doesn’t go away

To see illustrations of these warnings signs please visit the Breast Facts section.  

4. Make healthy lifestyle choices 

• Maintain a healthy weight
      • Add exercise into your routine
      • Limit alcohol intake
      • Limit postmenopausal hormone use
      • Breastfeed, if you can

Image created by Ashley Ward.

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.