Career

Black Friday Do’s and Don’ts: A Guide to the Greatest Shopping Day of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

As stores transition from Halloween to Christmas, as leaves change from green to yellow, that means the greatest shopping day of the year is right around the corner. You guessed it: Black Friday. It’s the best! At least from the customer standpoint that is. Working two retail jobs throughout the holiday season can be rewarding, but it can definitely be exhausting as well. But, you also get amazing stories.

Retail workers spend weeks, even months in advance, preparing for the big day that really kicks off the holiday shopping season. But, as a customer, there are a few things to keep in mind if you decide to hit up the stores bright and early for a bargain. Here are some do’s and don’ts for this year’s Black Friday shopping:

Do: Be polite and patient.

Many of the workers have probably been up for hours already and still have hours to go until their day is over. We know it’s our job to be there and assist you, but stores can get to maximum capacity on this day, and keeping track of everyone in the store can be difficult. A nice friendly face can make someone’s day when some of the customers are not the most joyous to deal with.

Don’t: Try and barter.

You know the saying: “I don’t know, I just work here.” Well, on Black Friday it is especially true. Employees are not in charge of prices and the different deals that are put out that day. If you do not care for the big sale the store is having that day, odds are someone up top made the price decision. We all want to save some extra cash from time to time, but we also all want to keep our sanity while working.

Do: Come in with a game plan.

Have a list handy for all the gifts you want to buy, and make sure to check it twice. Coming in with a game plan can help yourself stay organized and stay on budget. If you are looking for a certain item, it can help the workers help you even more. Go out there and tackle those sales.

Don’t: Expect the store to have the exact product you wanted.

I know, this sounds like a harsh one. But some products are more popular than others–especially when it is a Black Friday special item–and can sell out fast. Most stores on Black Friday have workers strictly filling walls and fixtures to make sure that every product is out on the floor. However, some products may sell fast and might not be available. Ask around if you are unsure about an item.

Do: Research.

Did you know that some retailers allow you to stack multiple coupons on top of Black Friday deals? Make sure to research your local store policies and see if they allow you to do so. Everyone wants to save some money, and an additional coupon never seemed to hurt anybody.

Don’t: Assume.

Those buy-one-get-one-free deals are not always what the customer thinks it is. Odds are, the retailer is going to charge you for the item that costs the most money, because as much as the customer wants to save money, the retailer also wants to make a good chunk of cash off the day. If you are unsure about a deal, make sure to ask someone. Most likely they are happy to clarify.

Do: Save that money and have fun doing it!

This one is pretty self-explanatory. But if an explanation is needed, do your research before, during, and after all the sales to make sure you received the best deal. Get a group of friends together and make it a fun outing. Happy saving!

I'm a junior at Towson University studying Mass Communications with a dual track in advertising and PR, while working on a minor in Marketing, and one in Communication Studies. I love food, music, friends, and exploring new places. I'm originally from Pennsylvania, but I love my second home here at Towson and Baltimore.
Her Campus

Towson '25