This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

“You’re so beautiful, you’re my little princess,” this or something to this degree is what many of us heard from our mothers as a child. Yet, such positive reinforcement does not always stick with us when we grow up and are exposed to society’s definition of beauty. The “right” image of a woman has become a common theme in today’s society.

Small waist, big boobs, and flawless skin have been the misconception of a woman’s beauty for a long time. Many have invested thousands into plastic surgery to enlarge their breasts, money that could be used for charity or many other productive things. Young women are receiving implants for a graduation or birthday gift nowadays.

Other individuals take less extreme measures by buying tons of push-up bras to give the illusion of big breasts. They may not wear them daily but when they’re worn it’s usually to look sexy, impressing a guy. Such changes to the body helps boost women’s self-esteem, but should conforming to society’s desires be the key to young women’s confidence?

Recently the butt has been making its mark in today’s society. It has always been something recognized in the African American community. Songs like “I like big butts” by Sir-Mix-a lot or “Ms. New Booty” by Bubba Sparxxx has encouraged the enlargement of big butts. These songs give praises to women with large butts, but what about those who are not bootylicious? Everyone did not inherit Jennifer Lopez’s, Beyonce’s, or Kim Kardashian’s butt. For those who didn’t, there are now booty pads and panties to give the illusion of a bigger derriere. Sound familiar?

Butts are becoming just as important as breasts in today’s society. Women of all races are seeking a grand bottom lately. Butt implants are one of the many plastic surgery procedures Heidi Montag had to feel more confident about herself, according to the Huffington Post.

Black women feel as though they must have an amazing bottom because it has been emphasized so much in their culture. “Girl you don’t have any curves, where your butt at?” African American college student, Maya, was asked this question a lot in her predominately black high school. She was called “juice box” all throughout high school because of her lack of curves. “You have to have a great amount of love for yourself to avoid falling into the influence of society,” Maya said. However, everyone does not have the same confidence as Maya.

People’s words can make a great difference in how an individual may view themselves. It could be the comments of your boyfriend, mother, friend, or anyone else who you’ve encountered in your life. For 20- year old Claudia Arderotimi it was the music industry who told her she didn’t have the right “look” for a part in a hip hop video. After such remarks, Claudia’s self-esteem began to decline and she started wearing butt pads. Claudia, still discontent, had a procedure for butt implants which resulted in her death on Feb. 11, 2011. During the procedure Claudia was injected with a cheaper industrial sealant rather than silicone; the substance went to her vascular system and stopped her heart, according to Huffington Post.

Many young women are willing to undergo such procedures without any real concern for the risks involved. Any type of surgery can pose a potential risk which could possibly lead to death, yet people are having surgeries with no medical need for them. Has our image become so important that will risk our lives for it? If so, what type of image does that give for our society as a whole?

Everyday someone looks in the mirror and says “I wish I had a flatter stomach,” or “why are my thighs so huge?” Such comments run through our minds all the time but as Maya stated earlier it is important to love yourself. Start pointing out things that you like about yourself.

Towson University offers a ten step solution to positive body image at http://www.towson.edu/main/lifetu/health/documents/TenSteps.pdf. Students at Towson who need more assistance can attend the body image 101 program offered at Towson University’s counseling center. For those who have overcome their struggles with body image, you may be interested in helping others. The counseling center will also be accepting online applications to be a body image peer educator in October. Together women can redefine beauty.

Sources:

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.