All You Need to Know About the 2012 Presidential Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

As a first time voter, I’m ecstatic to learn about what both parties stand for so I can make my vote count. The top issues for me in this election are student loans, health care, jobs and the economy, same-sex marriage, and women’s rights. Here’s some info on each candidate so you can make an informed decision!

Governor Mitt Romney and the Republican Platform

President Barack Obama and the Democratic Platform

Student Loans

Republicans believe that the federal government has no business in being part of originating student loans. Therefore, participation from private sectors is encouraged. Romney wants to make the financial aid system stronger and simpler. 

Since being in office, the President has expanded Pell Grants (for students with low-income families). His goal is to make sure that middle class families can better afford college and he plans to continue working on it, if re-elected. 

Health Care

Romney has promised to repeal Obamacare. The Republican platform states that no healthcare organization should be required to provide medical service to those without insurance. In lieu of Obamacare, Romney wants to make policies that allow states to create their own health care plan.

The Democrats believe that affordable, accessible healthcare for all is part of the American promise. Under Obamacare, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) mandates health insurance for all Americans. It also allows young adults to stay on their parents’ health insurance until they reach the age of 26. 

Jobs and the Economy

Romney has a five point plan that promises more jobs (12 million to be exact) and more profit. The five points are: 

• Energy independence
  • Foreign Trade 
  • Better education
  • Cut the deficit
  • Deregulation

If this works out, it will help women get more and better-paying jobs, help out many small businesses, and lower taxes overall.

Part of Obama’s stimulus strategy is to promote the American Jobs Act. It would use federal dollar to encourage employment. Additionally, it doubles the 2011 payroll tax cut for individuals. His first bill, the Lilly Ledbetter Act, made sure that women get the same pay for the same work. In effort to bring jobs back to America, Obama wants to eliminate tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas.

Same-sex Marriage

Mitt Romney favors a traditional marriage. The Republicans are in support of a Constitution amendment that defines marriage as the union between a man and a woman.

The President and Democratic Platform recognize gay rights as human rights. Obama supports marriage equality and supports a law securing equal treatment under law for same-sex couples. 

Women’s Rights

Romney is pro-life with a few exceptions for unfortunate cases such as rape, incest, and the health and safety of the mother. The Republican Party opposes using public revenue for abortion. Romney believes abortion laws should be left up to the state. He also favors a bill that lets employers opt out of contraception coverage. 

Obama is pro-choice. The ACA requires insurers to pay for contraceptive and prenatal screenings. The Democratic Party strongly supports Roe v. Wade (the Supreme Court decision that established a woman’s constitutional right to an abortion). They believe it is a woman’s right to make decisions regarding her pregnancy.He signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) which requires employers to offer contraception as part of their health plan.

For more information, visit Mittromney.com and Barackobama.com. Remember, the fate of our country is in your hands! Learn the facts and make an educated vote!

Chart courstey of Ethos3.com. 

Jai-Leen James is a senior at Towson University majoring in Mass Communications with concentrations in Journalism & New Media while and minoring in Electronic Media and Film.  She aspires to have a career in broadcasting. In addition to being a contributing writer for Her Campus, Jai-Leen plays club field hockey and club women’s lacrosse. She is the Vice President of Towson's chapter of the National Broadcast Society and an active member of WMJF, the student-run television station on campus. When she’s not busy participating in her various activities, Jai-Leen enjoys eating, watching The Office, and going to music festivals. Follow her on Twitter! @j_james17