7 Tips to Handle Same Day Classes and Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

For the past 5 semesters, I have scheduled all of my classes on the same two days: Tuesday and Thursday. I feel like giving myself the 5 day weekend helps me to unwind and catch up on school work and having Wednesday in between lets me concentrate on all the homework I have from Tuesday. It seems like a great plan every semester but then school gets underway and once again I am asking myself why I did this!

Studying for multiple exams or writing papers due on the same day is always a daunting task. Here are some tips to help those of you that have classes on the same days:

1) DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! This rule is the one I have the hardest time following. I find that working under pressure is when I get my best work done. However, starting an assignment weeks in advance and finishing it before the due date relieves great amounts of stress and lets you enjoy doing other things you wouldn’t be able to if you were cramming for a test a few days before.

2) Keep an organized planner! I have always kept a planner. By writing down your assignments you can see what is coming in the future weeks and prepare yourself before it’s too late. I currently have 2 planners that I use: one for major assignments that I keep on my desk and the one I carry with me everywhere that holds my day to day assignments and activities.

3) Read over assignments and decide which one will take the most time! Taking the time to look over and map out assignments or studying can help determine which areas will take the longest to accomplish. If you start early studying or starting an assignment that could take a couple weeks and then move onto the easier one, it will motivate you.

4) Look at the syllabus! This way you can know in advance what exams or assignments will be due on the same days. Highlight or star those days and know that you will have extra work that week before. The syllabus is given for a reason, get a head start on assignments or readings that you know you have time to do before they are due.

5) Set a goal! At the start of each week, set a goal of what you want to have done. Make sure that major assignments are at the top of that goal sheet so you can get a head start. If it’s not needed to be due by that week, keep it towards the bottom. It’s ok to have goals move from week to week as long as they are completed on time.

6) Keep your desk uncluttered! I have found that by having a clean and clutter free work area I am able to make lists of the assignments I have to complete and be aware of the exams I have to study for. Instead of studying in bed, where I tend to feel sleepy, I make sure to always study and do my assignments at my desk.                                             

7) Make time with friends while studying! Take an hour or two to grab dinner or do something with friends. By forcing myself to sit in my dorm or the library, I find that I lose motivation. While I am with my friends, I am able to put the assignment aside and can approach it with a clear head when I return.

I hope these tips are helpful and relieve whatever stresses you may encounter by scheduling classes on the same day. By following these, you can relax on the days when you don’t have class and take time to complete assignments or study. HAPPY STUDYING!