5 to Bring and 5 to Leave: How to Have a More Spacious Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Now that building and roommate assignments are finally out, move-in day is well on its way. Whether you are brand new to the college world of dorm living or returning, packing is always an issue. I always leave it up to the last week to pack, which isn’t always the best idea. Last year, I packed in three days and while I thought my dorm room had plenty of storage space, I was seriously mistaken and brought WAY too much clothing, bedding and just random other things that I should of left at home. Even though it all stayed, my room felt cramped at times and I constantly felt the need to organize to alleviate the tiny room feeling. While in the craze of packing I even forgot a few items to pack that I wouldn’t necessarily think of. Let me tell you, many of the rooms, especially mine, don’t feel small if you pack smart. Here are 10 tips on what to bring and what to leave.

Don’t Forget!

1.     A Printer: Many students recommend leaving a printer home because of the cost of ink and paper, however, 10 cents per page at the library gets rather expensive. I also found it very convenient to be able to print whatever I wanted when I wanted.

2.     Interview Clothing: You never know when you’ll be invited to attend a conference, meeting or even have an interview. I found many girls borrowing my tailored blazer throughout the year because it turned a simple outfit to more business-casual attire, perfect to nail that interview. The secret? It was inexpensive and on sale at Marshalls. Who said having a great and versatile wardrobe had to be expensive?

3.     Cable cords/Ethernet Cable: Both my roommate and I forgot cable cords for the TV and by the time we got around to look for some at the student store and Target, they were all sold out. Towson is known for its spotty Wi-Fi. In order to eliminate the weak signal and other various issues, I recommend bringing an Ethernet cable to plug in and use while you’re in your room. No one wants a weak signal on the day they need to register for classes or when a paper is due!

4.     An Extra Blanket: Whether it is to use outdoors like at the beach in West Village or the middle of campus, watching a baseball game or using it to stay warm at the football games, an extra blanket always comes in handy.

5.     A Power Strip: There are way too many things to plug into two outlets. A power strip is not only used as an extension cord (which arent’t allowed in Towson dorms) but also allows you to plug in a lot more.

Leave at Home!

1.     Books: Not only do they take up space but reading for fun generally isn’t on the top of many college students “to-do-list”. If you do want to read, bringing one or two books or a Kindle will help alleviate the clutter and give you some more space!

2.     DVDs: Yes, movie night frequented my schedule during my first year at college. Especially when I first met new friends. My roommate and I invited whomever to watch a movie and vice-versa and we all quickly became friends. Now the problem lies with space. Space is a huge issue and DVDs take up a lot of space. Leave your DVDs at home. My friends and I found streaming a movie on a computer and then connecting it to a TV was much more efficient and we could watch any movie we wanted.

3.     Vacuum: Not only does this take up space but it is also a waste of money. The front desk usually has really good vacuums for free! They may not look good but they are commercial grade meaning they get the job done well. It even took glitter out of my carpet.

4.     Candles: Although they may make a room smell good, if you leave the candle burning by accident while you’re not in the room trouble could ensue. You don’t want to be the student that set the water sprinklers off in all the rooms.

5.     High School Clothing: Yes, we all have our favorite t-shirt but don’t bring all of them! You’re starting out a new chapter in your life and bringing things from high school won’t let you enjoy the present and make room for new mementos. Leave the varsity jacket, yearbooks and pile of t-shirts at home and get ready for the ACTUAL best four years of your life.

Erin is a Mass Communications student at Towson University studying Journalism, Advertising and Public Relations. She is the Editor-In-Chief, Campus Correspondent and President of Her Campus Towson. Erin has been writing for Her Campus Towson since fall 2011 and worked as an intern for Sister 2 Sister Magazine in summer 2013. She competed in the 2012 Miss Maryland USA pageant and has since done some print modeling as a hobby.