10 Quick and Easy DIY Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Most college students want to look cute and festive on Halloween; but you don’t want to waste your money on expensive costumes. One simple solution: make your own costume! By wearing clothes that you can likely dig out of your own closet, your costume will be easy, cheap and comfy. Try these ideas and you’ll end up with looking great!

1. Flapper

This is going to be my Halloween costume this year and it is proving to be a great, easy and inexpensive. Pick a dress that you own. Use one with fringe and a solid color, if you have one. If not, just wear a cute, solid colored dress or even borrow one from a friend. Pick a pair of matching or black heels out of your closet to go along with it.

The headband is what really makes a flapper a flapper. This will probably require a trip to Michaels or another craft store. Use a hot glue gun to glue a few feathers onto a headband, and if you prefer, add a little jewelry or a flower. To further accessorize your costume, you could use a feather boa, a chain of pearls, or any costume jewelry. 

2. Star Trek- Uhura

For any Trekkie or fan of the beautiful Zoe Saldana, this is the costume for you. It’s fairly simple to dress like Uhura. Start with a red t-shirt dress and tall black boots. The thing that will really make this costume is the Starfleet logo, which you could buy as a patch or make out of extra fabric and marker or tape. You can finish off the look by putting your hair in a high, sleek ponytail and applying winged eyeliner like Zoe Saldana.

3. New Girl- Jess Day

Jess has a very preppy style that most of us could easily recreate. Dig through your closet for a cute, preferably patterned, and bright dress and flats. You can add a skinny belt or a cardigan if you prefer. To really look like Jess, you will need either retro glasses or her lovely hairstyle. If you’re not lucky enough to have similar hair, you could try temporary hair dye, a wig, or create fake bangs (there are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do this).

4. Cat

Wear an all-black outfit. Add cat ears or a cat mask. You can easily buy or make your own cat ears. To make them, you’ll need black felt and a black headband. Cut the felt into two triangles and use a hot glue gun to glue the bottom of the triangles onto the headband. Then, use black eyeliner to draw on a nose and whiskers. 

5. Cheerleader

This is a great way to put all your Towson (or any other sports team) gear to use! Wear your favorite Towson shirt or jersey and a pair of short shorts. You’ll need black and yellow pom-poms! Add in any other gear you have, such as beads, a hair ribbon or face paint. 

6. Cowgirl

Wear a flannel shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and tie it in the front. Add jeans, cowgirl boots and a cowboy hat. Style your hair into pigtails or two low braids. Add a bandana to finish off the Western look.

7. Where’s Waldo

Look through your closet for a red and white striped shirt and jeans. Add on a red and white winter hat, preferably with a pom-pom on top. Wear brown shoes or whatever is most comfortable. You can wear red and white striped socks if you have them.

8. Rosie the Riveter

To look like Rosie, you’ll need a denim shirt and jeans. Roll up your sleeves, put your hair into a messy bun and grab your favorite shoes. Then, use a red bandana as a headband, swipe on red lipstick, and you’re ready to go!

9. Dexter Victim

If you’re already missing Dexter like I am, you might want to try out this costume! Wear a nude dress or shorts and a bandeau. Wrap plastic wrap around you in sections and tape it when it’s no longer see through. Add in fake blood around your stomach. You’ll need to put another layer of plastic wrap over the blood so it doesn’t make a mess. You can even tape on the handle of a knife. Make a cut with fake blood on your cheek where Dexter cuts his victims. 

10. Burglar

Look through your closet for a black and white striped shirt and black pants, or a dress and leggings, and grab your best black heels or boots. Wear a black winter hat or a mask. If you want to be a cat-burglar, you can wear a cat mask. Carry around a bag with a money sign or ‘swag’ written on it (you can use it as your purse!).

Hope this gave you some ideas on what to be this Halloween. Her Campus Towson is hosting a costume contest so be sure to head over to our Twitter for more information!