This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

While roommates may seem like a good idea to keep you company and help manage the household, there’s only one type of roommate that will truly benefit your life: a cat.

When asked if I live alone, I always reply, “I live with my cat.” People usually laugh and ask to see a picture of how cute he is, but there are benefits to having a feline friend in your home. Listed below are a few reasons why cats make the best roommates.

They’ll never bring home unwanted company 

There’s nothing worse than thinking you’re returning home to quiet solace and opening the door to find your roommate has invited their classmates over for a get-together, or even worse their significant other. When it comes to cats, you’re their only friend. They don’t need noisy company to entertain them and they won’t ruin your night.

You’ll never get into arguments 

While you may get along fine with a human companion, it’s impossible to agree on everything. Whether it be who should clean the dishes or what to watch on Netflix, there will always be some sort of petty problem brewing behind the scenes. Fortunately, cats don’t care. They’re happy to watch whatever you’d like and don’t mind a few chores going unnoticed for a little too long. Cats are just happy to have you there, and as long as they’re fed and cuddled, the chances of a fight are low.

They’re low maintenance and low key 

The best part of having a feline roommate is their chill attitude. They’ll never be asking for help with chores or depending on you for emotional support. Cats are quiet, clean and cute. All you have to do is feed them, and unlike a dog, they’re not constantly begging for attention or wanting to go outside. Cats aren’t bothersome like humans or other animals, they’re there when you need them and rarely need you.

They’re affectionate and will supply you with love 

The main role of a pet is to provide companionship, and with that comes affection. My cat always eagerly greets me at the door and is always home to keep me company. When I’m ready for bed, he is too, cuddling up and keeping me warm. I know he’ll always be here for me and happy to see me at home.

🥰 Related: Pets in the Pandemic
🥰 Related: Ask the Next Landlord You Sign With in Toronto These 13 Questions
Nalyn Tindall

Toronto MU '25

Nalyn is a second year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University, originally from Camrose, Alberta. She is loving living in Toronto and can often be found exploring the city with her friends. When not at a concert or finding new places to eat or take photos, she's probably watching videos or listening to music. She has a love of house plants, her cat, and snacks, as well as a passion for politics and social change which have inspired her to pursue journalism.