Who Said Halloween Was Cancelled? – A COVID-Friendly Way of Celebrating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Are you bummed out that Halloween is cancelled this year? Trying to make plans to go out but this pandemic has become a hurdle to your fun? In the midst of a pandemic it is totally understandable that you may have lost all the motivation to have fun and enjoy festivities. However, with this new event taking place from October 1st – November 1st you can have the chance of visiting a thrilling light show in the comfort of your own vehicle. Yes!!! A drive-through light show, and most importantly COVID-friendly. 

Halloween Lights of Toronto is a sensational light show experience that is currently taking place in Vaughn, Ontario – a two minute car ride from York University. This drive-through experience has more than 700,000 LED lights that are animated to display different halloween themed things like haunted houses, bats, ghosts, pumpkins and spiders. The best part is, these lights flash synchronously to the halloween tunes playing. When you enter the light show, there will be signs to tune your stereo to the provided FM station. 

This event is suitable for all ages and the best part is you can also bring your family pets! This is a great way to spend time with your friends, family and loved ones while following all social-distancing protocols. The tickets must be purchased online, and you will receive your tickets via email. Once you arrive at the event, the tickets will be scanned through the windows of your car – a great way to be safe. Contactless service yet a great experience. As for the tickets, when you are purchasing them online it is according to the number of persons per car. 

$25 up to 2 people per car; $40 up to 5 people per car; up to 8 people $65 per car. 

My experience at Halloween Lights of Toronto was a memorable and exciting experience. This being the first year they are running this event and the circumstances given due to COVID-19, I believe this is a great opportunity to feel festive for this season and occasion. The light show lasts approximately for 30 minutes, depending on the amount of cars ahead of your vehicle. Also, you can drive at your own pace and the passengers in the car can take pictures and videos while remaining inside the car. I prefer attending a bit later at night since it’ll be darker out and the lights will be more visible. Overall, it was a remarkable experience which my friends and I really enjoyed. 

Don’t feel too bad if you’re not able to make it to the Halloween Lights of Toronto this year, they’re not closing off this event just yet. They are now selling tickets for Holiday Nights of  Lights for the holiday season. This event will also be COVID-friendly, taking the method of drive-through as well. Tickets are now available online from November 20th – January 7th 2021 for the holidays! 

Mithushana is a third-year student at Ryerson University. She moved to Toronto when she was 3-years-old from Frankfurt, Germany. Living as a Torontonian for the majority of her life, Mithushana has a special heart for Toronto. She enjoys the city lifestyle and fast-paced energy. Also a huge animal lover! With her strong passion for spreading positivity around the world and as an advocate for wellness and self-care, she wishes to use this platform to voice more goodness into the world. Aspiring to make a change through her writing.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.