Where to Find Holiday Gift Inspiration For This Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

When it comes to holiday shopping, I am absolutely terrible. If you ask me at any point throughout the year what I plan on getting my family and friends for Christmas, I can list at least five gifts per person. But once the end of the year actually comes around? Forget it.

Dec. 25, 2023, is only a month away and exam season is right around the corner. I have desperately been searching for some ideas before I run out of time — and before stores run out of stock.

In the spirit of giving and after lots of scrolling, I’ve compiled a list of some great accounts, websites, and places for you to find inspiration and gifts this holiday season.

Trending Pages

Sometimes, the best gifts don’t come from the heart — they come from the Amazon trending page. No, but really. Whenever I can’t figure out what somebody might want, I always look at what’s currently popular in stores. 

Now, this doesn’t mean the gift can’t come from the heart. After all, it’s not like you’re picking a random leaf blower and giving it to your mom. Spend some time searching and pick out something your person will like! 

If you really want to get personal, try to think of a certain brand or store that the person you’re shopping for likes. Most of the time, companies will have trending pages on their websites that can help you choose a great and reliable gift. Chances are, if it’s popular, it means it’s good quality — but always check the reviews just in case.

If you’re unsure if someone already has the item you’ve found, check out the New Arrivals/Releases tab as well! With plenty of options and probably lots of stock, you’re bound to find something perfect for that lucky person. 

TikTok Accounts

Now, I know it’s not just me who keeps coming across the “Gifts for people who like…” videos on TikTok. I normally watch them, find a few things that my family might like, and then continue scrolling. However, as the holidays come around, I’ve realized how useful these videos can be.

From specific interests and favourite musical artists to general topics like “gifts for bakers,” there are plenty of videos that can help you find the perfect gift. Most creators even include links, brand names, and prices in their content, making shopping much easier!

In fact, many of these accounts have videos based on price points that make it easy to find affordable options and trust me when I say those are a must for university students. Even after Christmas, these videos are great to come back to. Whether it’s birthdays or Valentine’s Day, there’s no shortage of inspiration.

So check out these accounts below, and don’t be afraid to look for some more if you don’t find what you need. 

General Stores

Online shopping can be a hassle, and holiday shipping can take too long, but you still don’t want to lose access to a whole store catalogue at once. Luckily, there’s a simple solution for that!

Even though most stores are curated, there are many businesses with lots of variety, such as Blue Banana in Kensington Market. Located at 250 Augusta Ave., this huge store has a little something for everyone and is pretty affordable, too. My first time going there, I found tea and mugs for my mom, a Lego set for my brother, and a baking set for my grandmother. The possibilities are genuinely endless.

If you can’t make it all the way to downtown Toronto, don’t stress; there are always other stores, too. From Indigo to the businesses listed in this article, there’s no shortage of places to get inspired.

Gift Cards

Sometimes the best gifts come in small packages… with money inside them, of course. Whenever you absolutely cannot figure out what someone might want, you can’t go wrong with a gift card. From food to fashion, there’s a card for it all.

Although most gift cards serve the same purpose, the amount that you put on them should always reflect the store they’re for. You don’t want to give someone $25 for a place where they can only buy socks, so always double-check the store’s average prices.

To make things easier, a prepaid Visa gift card always works as well! This way, the choice of what to buy no longer falls on you, and on top of that, your cousin gets to buy that Jellycat they won’t stop talking about.

It is a win-win situation if I do say so myself. 

Coordinate with Others

Coming from a busy university student, sometimes two brains are better than one. So, next time you’re too preoccupied with school to think of a gift for your parents, ask a sibling or a family member for ideas and go half-sies with them! Nothing screams “there’s no place like home for the holidays” more than receiving a gift from multiple people who you love the most. 

However, sometimes, your family members may not want to split their gifts or share their ideas. Some might have already bought something or have something special, and that’s okay. There are always other people who can give you ideas, like your friends! This doesn’t mean you have to get the same gifts they got for their parents — sometimes all you need is just a little bit of inspiration. 

Just Ask!

No matter how hard you try, sometimes you simply can’t remember what your uncle said he wanted two months ago. So, when all else fails, just ask! 

In my experience, people often appreciate it when you take the time to consider what they may actually get use out of rather than getting something you think they might like. That’s not to say that other gifts aren’t great; it just means that yours could be better, obviously. 

There’s no harm in making sure that the gift you get someone is exactly what they need, especially when they’re most likely spending their money on other people for the holidays, too.

Wrapping Up (Literally)

No matter what you get somebody, they’ll appreciate it. The holidays are a busy time, and it’s not always easy to find something different for everyone in your family. I understand that, and chances are, so will they. 

Hopefully, these options give you some inspiration and help you transform a stressful holiday season into a successful one. So happy shopping, happy holidays, and don’t forget to shop at small businesses!

Katarina Zeni

Toronto MU '25

Katarina Zeni is a third-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. Having grown up in a small town out of the city and since having moved into the GTA, she has come across many different and fascinating stories, and people, in her everyday life. With a background in the arts and a passion for writing, Katarina seeks to use her experiences to highlight all the important moments in the everyday. Whether it’s a script, a poem, a novel, or a news story, she believes there’s always something to be written. Off the record (and off the clock), Katarina can be found watching her favourite 90s romcoms, checking out a new film in the cinema, or cuddling up to her cat Iris with a good book in hand. Follow her journey on Instagram @zenikatarina!