Underrated Activities To Do This Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

When winter break hits, I find myself getting bored within the first couple of days into it. Taking part in activities is the only way I can stay motivated throughout it. Here are a few of my favourite activities, including some I tried out for the first time during last year’s break.

Visit local vintage shops

During last year’s winter break, I visited vintage shops in Vaughan, Ont. Ambience Boutique was my favourite shop and I left with a handmade beaded car dangle that’s shaped and embroidered as a star.  

There were knick-knacks, rare art pieces, and handmade jewellery to see. It was fun to spend time indoors to explore the creativity the town has to offer. We explored further and discovered many small businesses and independent restaurants, such as Cookie Crumble Café. On top of this café having the best breakfast items, it was the most peaceful environment to be in. 

I highly recommend visiting a town near you to experience a simple lifestyle in an intimate neighbourhood. 

Vintage purses on a rack.
Original photo by Hadiqah Khalil
Go ice skating

Two winters ago, I went ice skating for the first time. Since I wasn’t introduced to ice skating at a young age, I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to pick it up on my own after purchasing my first pair of skates. It’s much easier to stay on top of the activity when you’re practicing with others who are in the same boat as you. I never thought I’d be any good, but surprisingly, it’s an activity I find a hobby in now. 

Even if you don’t know how to skate, you’ll find your balance just as I did. It’ll get so much easier if you just give it a first try.

Create a vision board for the new year

Before 2022 ended, my friends and I brought together magazines and crafts to create vision boards

This project is motivating when you have future goals or ideas that you’re interested in or want to accomplish. For some, vision boards are a form of speaking plans into reality. A lot of people say that once they set their hopes for the new year, they actually manifest those goals into existence at some point. 

Personally, I created this vision board just for fun. Looking back at it now, even though most of the images are not meant to be taken seriously, I’ve unintentionally come across or experienced a lot of the things that are on here. 

Vision board collage for the new year.
Original photo by Hadiqah Khalil
Decorate gingerbread cookies

Every year, my siblings and I decorate gingerbread cookies. Baking from scratch can be fun, but I feel it’s more rewarding when I get to bring them to life by accessorizing them with icing. 

If you have the patience to make them, gingerbread houses are also something you shouldn’t miss out on. 

Aside from this, I find myself baking a lot during this time, since you can honestly make any dessert when it’s the winter holidays. I usually stay safe and bake the basics like brownies, cookies or cakes. This break, I want to finally try to make cinnamon rolls from scratch.

Try out a new café

My friends and I went downtown to try Playground Café near St. Patrick’s station. The café isn’t just known for its food, but also a cool area for photos. They had retro televisions that mirrored us and aesthetic art sculptures. Although it was mainly just a spot for photos, I also recommend trying their coffees. If you’re looking for a change in setting during your break, try out a new café aside from the regulars in your area.

Coffee cups from Playground cafe scattered around the table.
Original photo by Hadiqah Khalil
Find a new hobby

I often found myself doing nothing besides scrolling through my phone, so I decided to try crocheting for a bit. Although the final result wasn’t what I expected it to be, I don’t regret giving it a try. 

On top of this, I started reading a new book and began watercolour painting. I finished reading Normal People by Sally Rooney last break, and by the end of this year, I hope to finish reading a horror-mystery book called The Sundown Hotel by Simone St. James. 

I also find myself venturing into the arts. It’s easy for me to follow reference images and tutorials for painting since my results satisfy me more than using my own creative direction. I also tend to paint a lot of scenery, such as sunsets and city views. 

Hadiqah Khalil

Toronto MU '26

Hadiqah Khalil is a second-year Journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. Her favourite read is As Long as the Lemon Trees Grow by Zoulfa Katouh and has watched The Greatest Showman film thirty times since its release date. Hadiqah hopes to represent Muslim women in the media, and loves bringing the spotlight to untold stories.