The Top 4 Cities To Visit This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The holidays, to me, is the best season ever. What do you think of when you see the word festive? Maybe it’s hot chocolate or mochas. Or perhaps, it’s the decorations. Maybe, it’s the number of Boxing Day deals we get. But whatever it is, we all know that many love the holidays. 

Throughout this time of year, many people decide to travel around the world to explore new places and feel the Christmas joy inside of them. If you’re longing to get out of Toronto, jump in your car or book that plane ticket!

So, what are some of the best cities to visit to get the full Holiday experience? 

New York City

It goes without saying: New York, after all, is the city that never sleeps.

Regardless of what, there’s so much to do and experience during the holiday season in New York City (NYC). You can skate at the Rockefeller Centre, shop for souvenirs at Times Square, dine at the Tavern On The Green in Central Park, and even watch the Nutcracker ballet.

NYC isn’t afraid to get into the Christmas spirit, and it shows. 

Rovaniemi, Finland

Rovaniemi is known as the “Official Hometown of Santa Claus,” and there’s actually a reason behind that. According to legends, Santa’s original home is situated in Korvatunturi (“Ear Fell”) in the Lapland region of Finland.

While visiting Rovaniemi, you can travel to Santa Claus Village all year round, and visit Santa’s postal office and secret forest

Niagara Falls, Ontario

If you’re looking for a small trip away from Toronto, Niagara Falls is definitely a great choice. As soon as you arrive at the falls, you may notice that there are tons of Christmas decorations, such as lights, and other statues which resemble the tradition. There are fireworks as well, so be sure to catch that!

Seoul, South Korea 

Many of us know Seoul as the K-Pop capital of the world. However, the city itself transforms during the holidays.

You’ll see plenty of decorations, and on busy days, you’ll see people holiday shopping at malls or city centres. There are tons of Christmas festivals to visit, such as the Seoul Lantern Festival, and many Christmas events. Moreover, you can watch the Nutcracker ballet here as well. 

If you’re looking for a holiday destination, explore these four city options. You’ll definitely experience something unexpected, and when the holidays end, you’ll have more memories to share with your friends and family.

Candice Zhang

Toronto MU '26

Retail Management student at TMU who loves coffee and writing more than people.