Model showcasing Mikaila Taliana\'s designs on the runway.
Original photo by Sydney Di Brina
Style > Fashion

TMU’s Mass Exodus 2023: Sonder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

For as long as I can remember, I have always had a passion for fashion. When I was about 13, I attended and later volunteered at a fashion summer camp. I have always loved creating fashion illustrations and styling outfits that reflect my personality. Going to an arts high school also helped me admire fashion, as my peers were always in on the latest trends. I watched two fashion shows for the first time this year, and I’m excited for more.

I was invited to the Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) Mass Exodus runway and exhibition on April 15, which took place at the Mattamy Athletic Centre (MAC). This was the second fashion show I had ever attended, and I was granted special access to go behind the scenes to observe the chaos and commotion before the models stepped on the catwalk. This opportunity also included a front-row seat for me to enjoy the students’ innovative creations. It was an amazing experience that left me feeling like I had just experienced New York Fashion Week.

What is Mass Exodus?

The Mass Exodus event consists of an annual runway and exhibition where TMU fashion students showcase their work. This year the theme was “Sonder,” the profound feeling that everyone has a complex life they are constantly living despite their lack of awareness of it. The exhibition highlighted inclusivity, decolonization and sustainability by recycling and working sustainably to reduce waste and carbon emissions. Two shows took place, the first at 4 p.m. and the latter at 7 p.m. There was also an exhibition, which ran from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.

While I wandered around before the first show, I headed into a humid room located in Kerr Hall, where I had regularly witnessed fourth-year fashion students working hard on their designs for the show. This time, the room was crowded with models, designers, hair stylists and makeup artists preparing for the runway. The excitement in the air was infectious as people ran around, making final touches before walking down to the MAC. As they made their way to the venue, heads were turned as outsiders picked up that something thrilling was about to happen.

Family, friends and fashion enthusiasts rushed towards their seats, impatient for the show to begin. At last, the lights dimmed, and spotlights turned on the catwalk as models flaunted their attire to the music.

The first show displayed the work of 23 designers, while the second show had 22. Each designer had about five looks that followed a specific theme or concept. Most designs were made out of specific materials to maintain a consistent look. Some themes I observed were fantasy, western, floral and knitwear.

Here is a sneak peek of some of the runway looks:

Original photo by Sydney Di Brina

Mikaila Taliana: “Love Is A Wild Thing”

Model showcases Serena Li\'s designs on the Mass Exodus runway.
Original photo by Sydney Di Brina

Serena Li: “Clouded”

Model showcases Delfina Russo\'s designs on the Mass Exodus runway.
Original photo by Sydney Di Brina

Delfina Russo: “FALL OF DOLL”

Model showcases Camilla Leonelli Calzado\'s designs on the Mass Exodus runway.
Original photo by Sydney Di Brina

Camilla Leonelli Calzado: “mimisikko – Carnaval”

Attending the Mass Exodus show and going behind the scenes was such an unforgettable experience. It was so lively to be around people who are so enthusiastic about fashion. It was also a great excuse to get dressed up. The designs were truly inspiring and may potentially foreshadow future upcoming trends. 

If you’re interested in previewing the rest of the designs, you can watch the recorded shows on YouTube (4 p.m. show and 7 p.m. show) and check out the designers here.

Sydney Di Brina

Toronto MU '23

Sydney is in the Journalism program at Toronto Metropolitan University. She loves to try out new recipes, exercise, binge-watch shows/movies and drink matcha.