Through the Viewfinder: the Nostalgia of the Polaroid Camera

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Is a camera that can instantly develop images possible? How successful can such invention be? These inquiries inspired Edwin Herbert Land to create the first instant camera in 1947. He recognized film’s significance in preserving unique moments, a unique ability that can never be replicated. And so he wanted to make photographic processing more seamless. Without intervening developers in darkrooms, the Land Polaroid Camera reduced the waiting time from days to a matter of minutes. It not only revolutionized the production of photographs but also encouraged a growth of hobby photographers.

However, its popularity waned in the mid-2000s with companies such as Apple and Samsung, who envisioned more innovative ways of capturing and sharing images. Improving Land’s invention, these companies produced smartphones that could virtually archive and generate images of higher quality. The shift from physical to digital images made film photography lose its lustre. Yet, if society is moving towards digitalized mediums, why has the revival of the instant camera taken precedence?

Previously, the extensive work to achieve a well-composed photograph—through manually adjusting lighting, white balance and aperture—has been replaced with a touch of a button. It is important to note that this mediated experience still requires experimentation and patience. The laborious process of freezing a moment in time positions the user to appreciate the composition of unadulterated photographs. It allows users to become an expert in a seemingly obsolete medium by learning photographic techniques rather than using editing software.

These developed photographs evoke feelings of nostalgia—the desire to re-experience a moment in time. Its texture and sheen represents candid, taken-for-granted memories cemented within a small rectangular shape. Unlike images archived in smartphones, Polaroids provide users with physical reminders of the past—one that appears to be much simpler than the present. As a result, it generates an authentic depiction of an individual’s interests, personality and experiences.

The invention of the Polaroid camera provided convenience for individuals to develop photographs. It has enabled a technologically dependent generation to experience the manual process of constructing images and the satisfaction of crafting photographic skills. Its ability to present genuine, unaltered moments has exhibited its potential to compete with digitalized forms of capturing human experiences.

Just look through the viewfinder and see for yourself.

Raquel is currently pursuing a BA in English Literature with an interest in 20th century literature. When she's not stressing about academics, Raquel spends an unhealthy amount of time browsing the web for aesthetically-pleasing restaurants, cafes and landscape sceneries for her Instagram profile.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.