This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Memoirs are, without fail, my favourite genre of books. Often more engaging and meditative than an autobiography, memoirs allow readers to peek into a small slice of the writer’s life and second-handedly experience the peaks and troughs the author is willing to share.

If you’re interested in exploring memoirs, take a look at a few of my absolute best-loved picks below!

Crying in h mart by Michelle Zauner

Winner of the 2021 Goodreads Best Memoir and Autobiography award, Michelle Zauner recounts losing her mother to pancreatic cancer whilst fighting to latch onto her Korean heritage. 

Growing up with an interest in music, this passion created strain between Zauner and her mother. Throughout the memoir, Zauner reconciles with her identity crisis by connecting to her culture, particularly the food, and finding a new appreciation for the relationship she shared with her mother.

Prozac nation by elizabeth wurtzel

A bit more of a darker and harrowing read, Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel reflects on the author’s experience dealing with atypical depression and being one of the first people to use the antidepressant Prozac.

Starting with her childhood, which consisted of an estranged father and unexplained, turbulent mood swings, to her college years that left the author even more confused about her brain’s chemical imbalance, the memoir shows how a girl, once so full of promise, can fall into the deepest trench. Yet, by her own will, she manages to pull herself out of it.

i know why the caged birds sing By maya angelou

If you are a fan of the classics, I Know Why the Caged Birds Sing by Maya Angelou may be the perfect memoir for you!

I felt many ups and downs while reading this book. On one hand, it’s a hopeful and free-spirited recount of how Angelou learned to live at peace with the childhood events that haunt her. On the other hand, it woefully unfolds the insecurities Angelou faced as a young Black girl living in the United States. 

I ultimately found this memoir to be more sanguine than sorrowful as Angelou focuses more on how every life event she experienced has changed her for the better.

know my name By chanel miller

One of the most moving and beautifully written books I’ve ever read, the publication of Know My Name by Chanel Miller was a pivotal moment in how society views and treats victims of sexual assault.

The memoir surrounds Miller’s experience being the victim of sexual assault and her case being hugely publicized in the media. Know My Name acts as an outlet for Miller to reclaim her story and life, shed light on the power of truth, and reveal the gruelling process of healing from trauma. Although written with dashes of humour, this memoir serves as inspiration for other victims to speak up and tell their stories.

Sharon Arulnesan

Toronto MU '27

Sharon is a first-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She enjoys binge-watching Buzzfeed Unsolved, listening to Lana Del Rey and reading classic literature.