The Ultimate Guide to Backpacking in Vietnam 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

There’s a lot to see and do in Vietnam, making it many people’s favourite place to visit in Southeast Asia. I spent a total of nine months backpacking Asia, with March 2023 focused on exploring Vietnam.

Whether you’re a foodie, history buff, or adventure-lover, this is the ultimate 30-day itinerary for any backpacker looking to see the country on a budget. 

Hanoi:

The capital of Vietnam stands out as one of my preferred cities not just in the country but also across Southeast Asia. The city is filled with bustling streets, incredible food, culture, and coffee. With traces of French influence spread throughout the city, there is a very European feel. 

I stayed at Buffalo Hostel, which was social for solo travellers, had a fantastic location, and offered complimentary breakfast. I also loved that they had a tour desk in the hostel, which helped us book our main activities and excursions in Vietnam.  

Activities:

1. Women’s Museum: The museum focuses on the role of Vietnamese women throughout history, especially during the war. There is a wide variety of photos, outfits, and traditional woven baskets on display, with written information in English. 
  2. Train Street: Sip on Vietnamese coffee (salted is my personal favourite) and watch the train rush by the narrow passage surrounded by buildings on each side.
  3. Beer Street: a favourite backpackers spot and the ultimate destination for cheap beer and live music at night.

Food:

1. Banh Mi 25 
  2. Anthony Bourdain and Obama bun cha 
  3. Note Cafe and Drop-In Cafe
A coffee shop in Hanoi, Vietnam
Photo by Kayla Solway

Hà Giang (The Loop):

If you’ve ever backpacked Southeast Asia, you’ve probably heard people rave about the Hà Giang Loop. The motorbike trip can last three or four days and is the best way to see the beauty of Northern Vietnam, visit small villages, and stop at some incredible viewpoints.

If you aren’t comfortable driving, you can book an easy rider who will drive for the full trip. 

Motorbikes drive on a winding road in the hills of Vietnam
Photo by Kayla Solway

Cát Bà Island:

This is the perfect place to spend a day or two relaxing and taking in the island’s natural beauty. There is another Buffalo hostel, and although outside of the main town with scooters, it was easy to get around and just a few minutes drive from shops and restaurants. 

Activities:

1. Wildlife in Cát Bà National Park and World Heritage Site: Spend the day hiking and spotting wildlife. 
  2. Hospital cave: The limestone cave was once a bomb-proof hospital during the war but is now open for the public to explore.  
  3. Cannon Fort: Sunset viewpoint.

Hạ Long Bay Cruise:

This excursion is outside the typical backpacker’s budget but is worthwhile as it provides the opportunity to see the stunning limestone mountains that rise from the bright blue water.

The UNESCO World Heritage Site is rich in history and truly feels like a scene out of a movie. It’s possible to do a day trip, but I opted for the overnight trip. This included all the meals, kayaking, and a stop at a beach. The overnight experience was also very social, providing the chance to meet other travellers doing a similar route through the country. 

Ha Long Bay in Vietnam
Photo by Kayla Solway

Ninh Binh:

Ninh Binh is another beautiful spot in Vietnam, surrounded by limestone mountains and rice fields that stretch for miles.

I stayed at the Banana Tree Hostel, which was one of my favourites in all of Vietnam. The location was great, the dorms were clean, and the common area was amazing. Since Ninh Binh is a slow-moving town, it was nice to have a great hostel where I could socialize with fellow backpackers. 

Activities:

1. Hang Múa Viewpoint: One of the top attractions made up of almost 500 stone steps leading to incredible views.
  2. Peddle boat on the river. 
  3. Rent a peddle bike: Explore town and ride through the rice fields. 

Phong Nha:

Many people skip over this small town, but stopping for a day or two is worth it. The sleepy village is home to one of the world’s largest caves and is surrounded by more beautiful limestone mountains.

I stayed in Central Backpackers, which had a great staff and complimentary breakfast. An alternative that also had great recommendations is Green River Side Cosy Home.

Activities:

1. The duck stop: One of the most random things I did in Southeast Asia, but it was so much fun! What used to be a duck farm has now become a favourite stop by many backpackers. For a low price, you get to play with a group of social ducks and feed them lots of food.
  2. Paradise Cave: The cave was filled with massive stalactites and stalagmites making it feel like a different world. 
  3. Bang National Park: Hike through the park exploring the various trails, waterfalls and looking for wildlife. 

Food: 

1. Bamboo chopsticks
  2. Treehouse Cafe
Ducks in Vietnam
Photo by Kayla Solway

Hue:

This is a fun city to stop in on the way to Hoi An, but if you are looking for more time somewhere else, I’d recommend skipping Hue.

I only spent a day here, staying at a local guest house, but I loved exploring the iconic abandoned water park, which spanned for several miles and contained old waterslides, pools, and a massive dragon statue you can climb up. 

abandoned water park in Vietnam
Photo by Kayla Solway

Hoi An:

I drove myself to Hoi An via the Hải Vân Pass, which was definitely worth it as the alternative is a night bus. The drive requires previous motorbike/scooter skills as it is 160 kilometres with some busy city and highway driving. 

This drive was one of my favourites in Asia as it was off the usual tourist route. The drive wove through fishing villages, mountains, coastal roads and the An Bang Cemetery, which is the largest cemetery in Vietnam and takes up 250 hectares. 

The city is a World Heritage Site and is beautifully preserved. I stayed at the hostel Bed Station which was a great location. There was so much to see and do that I ended up spending most of my time in Hoi An.  

Temple in Vietnam
Photo by Kayla Solway

Activities:

1.  Two Ladies Tailor: There are tailors on every street, but I am the staff at Two Ladies. I got a dress and two-piece outfit made and was able to pick the fabrics and designs. 
  2. Boat ride on the river: I loved doing this at night as everyone released lanterns, making the boats glow.  
  3. Cooking class and coconut boats: I booked this through the hostel, and it was one of the highlights of Hoi An. I learned how to make several different Vietnamese dishes and ended the day off with a chaotic ride on the coconut boats.

Dalat:

Dalat is laid-back mountain town surrounded by rolling green hills and pine forest.

I stayed at Tigon hostel, which had a great common space, beautiful views, and opportunities to socialize in the evening.

Activities:

1. Mountain coaster: The ride is a single-cart roller coaster through the forest with a speed lever and personal break.  
  2. Crazy house: A weird and wild tourist house perfect for a game of hide and seek.
  3. Explore the waterfalls: Rent a scooter and explore the various waterfalls that are near the city. 

Mũi Né:

If you’re looking for a beach town in Vietnam, this is the place to go! I stayed at a guest house called Eva Hut, which is just a few steps away from the beach. During my stay in Mũi Né, I spent my days relaxing on the beach and watching incredible sunsets every evening.

Activities:

1. Visit the red and white sand dunes
  2. Watch the sunset.
  3. Take surf lessons: Although the waves are small, Mũi Né is the perfect place for beginners to catch their first waves. 

Ho Chi Minh City:

Also known as Saigon, this busy city is rich in history and has motorbike-filled streets and incredible street food. I learned a lot about the American War by exploring various museums and photo galleries.

I stayed at Vy Da Backpackers, which was in a perfect location for exploring the city. 

Activities:

1. War museum: This is a must when visiting Vietnam and gave me an even deeper insight into the war’s impact on the country. 
  2. Cu Chi Tunnels: The tunnels were used during the war but now allow people to crawl through the small spaces.
  3. Shop for dupes at Saigon Square: Ensure you get the best deal by bargaining down the prices!

Food:

1. I booked a food tour through Airbnb, and it was one of the highlights of Asia. I rode with my guide trying multiple different street food spots and exploring less touristy areas of the city. 
  2. Night Market: Find some incredible street food and souvenirs here. 
  3. Cafe apartments: The perfect place for cafe hopping and a chance to try all the fantastic types of Vietnamese coffee.
Going into the tunnels in Vietnam
Photo by Kayla Solway

There you have it: the ultimate guide to Vietnam on a budget. Despite all the night buses and long travel days, it’s worth experiencing Vietnam’s beauty, rich history, and incredible food.

Kayla Solway

Toronto MU '27

Kayla Solway is a first-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She spent almost two years backpacking Asia and Central America and is passionate about storytelling and writing. If she's not thinking of her next trip, you can find her reading, hiking and playing with her dog. Find her on Instagram @kaylasolway