This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Women characters on TV have a significant impact on everyone around the world. Whether it be because they are part of your favourite show or because the way they’re portrayed inspires you, women on TV are very powerful.

While I have watched way too many shows to count, there are two female characters that have always stood out to me. Not only do they have a strong role in their series, but they have taught me so many lessons. In many ways, they have shaped who I want to become.

Brooke Davis

Brooke Davis will forever be the most influential character for me, and that is still an understatement.

The drama series One Tree Hill aired from 2003-2012 and centred a group of teenagers in Tree Hill, a made-up city in North Carolina. The show follows their character development from high school to university and their future careers.

Brooke Davis’ development is one of the most inspiring, as she starts off as a rich character who only cares about drinking and boys. She doesn’t seem to care about her grades or her future in general.

Throughout the show, Brooke goes through multiple hardships, including many break-ups and her parents losing all their money. She starts her own clothing business, “Clothes Over Bros,” and ends up as one of the most successful characters in the show.

She is the type of character that when she cares, she really cares. She has shown me the beauty of opening yourself up and the power of standing up for what you believe. Since the first time I watched this show, I knew I wanted to grow up with her strength.

Another significant trait of Davis’ was how she always knew what to say. Her dialogue in the show was immaculate, and whether it be sad, happy or angry, she always knew the right things to say. These are some of my favourite quotes:

“I love you, Lucas, and I probably always will, but we go days without having a meaningful conversation and I used to miss you so much when that happened, but it never seemed like you missed me. And I guess because of it, I stopped missing you.” – Brooke Davis, Season 4, Episode 1, “The Same Deep Water as You

“I am not pushing you away, Lucas; I am holding on for dear life. But I need you to need me back, okay? Why didn’t you tell me about the kiss? And why didn’t you call me while you were away? And why won’t you ever just let me all the way in?” – Brooke Davis, Season 3, Episode 22, “The Show Must Go On

“If you had a friend you knew you’d never see again, what would you say? If you could do one last thing for someone you love, what would it be? Say it, do it, don’t wait. Nothing lasts forever.” – Brooke Davis, Season 9, Episode 13, “One Tree Hill” (series finale)

Rory Gilmore

By now, I am sure everyone has heard of Gilmore Girls, a classic fall show that ran from 2000-2007.

There are a lot of critiques about protagonist Rory Gilmore’s iconic character, but in my personal opinion, she was probably the most inspiring character on that show. Rory was a student who had a goal and decided to chase it.

Her pursuit of becoming a journalist inspires me. No matter how much time it took her, or the dedication she needed to put into it, she was always chasing her dream. When she went to Yale University, many say her character started to decline. Although I do admit she made some terrible mistakes, it only added more power to her character.

She was always the perfect student, daughter, girlfriend and friend. It was inevitable for that to change and for her to make some wrong decisions — it’s part of life. As someone who is also following their passion towards becoming a journalist, Rory’s character has inspired me to keep chasing my dream and working towards it.

Just like Brooke, here are some quotes from Rory that I love: 

“One of those moments when everything is so perfect and so wonderful…you almost feel sad because nothing could ever be this good again.” – Rory Gilmore, Season 1, Episode 16, “Star-Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers

“My mother never gave me any idea that I couldn’t do whatever I wanted to do or whomever I wanted to be. She filled our house with love and fun and books and music, unflagging in her efforts to give me role models from Jane Austen to Eudora Welty to Patti Smith. As she guided me through these incredible eighteen years, I don’t know if she ever realized that the person I most wanted to be was her. Thank you, Mom, you are my guidepost for everything.” – Rory Gilmore, Season 3, Episode 22, “Those Are Strings, Pinocchio

Krishika Jethani

Toronto MU '23

Hi! My name is Krishika and I am a student at Toronto Metropolitan University. I am currently in the Creative Industries program studying Fashion and Journalism. I have a passion for writing and dream to someday become a journalist. I enjoy singing and watching Gilmore Girls in my free time! <3