This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Lately, I’ve appreciated my friendships so much that I might actually tear up while writing this.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my friends and have always been so grateful to have them in my life, and I’ve made sure I show it to them. But recently, I don’t know if I’m becoming more emotional as I’m growing up or if it’s the stress of school, internships and life, but I have never felt so happy with the people I have in my life.

Relationships come and go, but friendships last a lifetime. I hate to admit it, but sometimes romantic relationships cause us to forget to value the other people in our life. Being in a romantic relationship with someone who loves you is beautiful and brings you joy in ways you could never imagine, but having friends with you until the very end can bring the same amount of happiness into your life.

In high school, I was lucky enough to have the best friends I could have ever asked for. It made going to school much easier, and it made me understand the true meaning of friendship. It is safe to say that my high school friends are forever.

Moving to Canada for university was a scary experience as I had never moved anywhere in my life. I was born and raised in Panama and stayed there until I graduated high school. My parents still live there, and Panama will always be my home. However, the friends I have made in university are the closest I’ve come to feeling at home, away from home.

Toronto has become my home now, and it’s because of the friends I have made here. It finally feels like I belong and didn’t just move here for university. They have shown me that I don’t need to be surrounded by family to feel like I’m at home, and if I do, then they’re my family.

There are no words to describe how grateful I am for the friends I have made in Toronto. They have shown me that no matter what, they will always have my back and stay by my side. It’s weird because I never thought I would feel so comfortable and safe with people I had just met two months ago, but somehow with them, it feels like I’ve known them my whole life.

Just like romantic relationships, some friendships can also come to an end. It does not necessarily have to be for any negative reason, and it’s okay to find yourself drifting from friendships that might not be the best for either of you. These types of friendships teach you a lot, too and even though you might not be as close anymore, they’ll always hold a special place in your heart.

I think the one thing many people tend to forget is that quality comes over quantity. There is no point in having 50 friends if you can’t trust any of them. Having a few genuine friendships that you know share the same values as you is more than enough.

All in all, this is how I feel about friendship and the importance it holds in my life. I love all the people in my life, and I can’t explain how much they have influenced the person I have become. I might just make them read this so they can truly understand how much I admire them.

It’s never too late to find your friend soulmates; trust me, it’s possible.

Krishika Jethani

Toronto MU '23

Hi! My name is Krishika and I am a student at Toronto Metropolitan University. I am currently in the Creative Industries program studying Fashion and Journalism. I have a passion for writing and dream to someday become a journalist. I enjoy singing and watching Gilmore Girls in my free time! <3