This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Once again, we are back for another year of school. For some, this may be your first year in university, while others may be returning. We are all different and unique in our own ways. Regardless of who or where you are, the one thing we all share in our lives is struggle.

Why do we struggle? If there’s a reason for everything, does that mean difficult things are also necessary? How necessary are they, and why do they even matter? 

To put things simply, struggles matter a lot. In fact, your overall struggle in life, including what it takes to achieve what you desire, is arguably the most important part of the process. Imagine if things were simply given to you, you never had to work for anything, and all you desired was at your finger’s reach. Now ask yourself, would you enjoy it? Would you be proud of what you have accomplished, and if so, would there be any stories to tell? 

There is beauty in failing, trying again, and using rejection to continuously chase your goals and persevere. Considering all you have been conditioned to believe about societal struggles, this is admirable. It’s in our very nature to struggle, but overcoming it is what gives our lives purpose and value. 

In my grade 12 theatre class, I learned that to make a good story, you must build characters surrounded by obstacles and tribulations. Let them overcome these problems throughout the story, but don’t rush it. Rather, allow your character to face adversity and show how they have become stronger because of it. 

In film studies, it is taught that viewers grow a stronger liking for a character if they can relate or see themselves in them. This is true because we often build relationships based on common interests and also struggles.

If you work hard and never give up, eventually, you will succeed, but what if you don’t? What if plan A or even B doesn’t suffice despite everything you tried? Was it all for nothing? Did you really go through all that struggle just to have a pitiful outcome in the end?

The short answer is no. 

If you look at it from an outside perspective, you will eventually come to realize that nothing was really wasted. You may have yet to get what you originally wished for, but there were many new disciplines you achieved along the way. You can always take the skills you learned into later challenges in your life. This may sound cliche to many, however, it’s not the goals we achieve that define us, but rather the continuous struggles we put up with to achieve those goals.

If you are struggling for something and choose to keep going, it must mean it’s important to you. The end goal may seem far, but something of value will be achieved one way or another. Everyone sees life differently, but use your unique perspective to find beauty in your struggles. 

Hey, I'm Husam, a first-year Journalism student from Mississauga, Ontario. Although this is my first year in Journalism, I was studying a different program for 2 years before I decided to transfer. I believe during university one can carry a lot of stress and confusion. I want to use my opportunity at Her Campus to share my experiences of finding myself and growth, as well as be able to connect and learn from others as well. I enjoy playing soccer, reading, writing, and learning new languages. I will be posting articles as often as I can during this school year, so feel free to check it out and reach out to me.