This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Photo by Kourtney Meldrum

By: Kourtney Meldrum

A young girl travels to a foreign country on her own. She shares a car with a stranger who later comes back and kidnaps her, proceeding to sell her into the sex trade. Her badass father—Liam Neeson—comes, and through a series of battles rescues her to safety.

Okay, wait. Maybe that’s the plot of every Taken movie ever made. But the thought crossed my mind that I could run into similar dangerous situations when I embarked on my first own solo travel trip.

I’d traveled a lot before this trip. I’d made it to 19 countries either with my family, friends, or groups. I figured that for my next two countries it was time to take on the world on, on my own.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous, but more than anything I was excited.This trip would take me to Ireland and Iceland, and where I would meet up with some friends along the way, but for the first time it would really just be me.

Why I Did It:

I was ready to take off on my own. I craved the freedom and adventure of a trip on my own.

For most of my time in Ireland, I met up with friends I had living there who played host and tour guide and made the journey seem a lot less daunting.

I believe more than anything I wanted a challenge. I wanted to prove to myself that I could hack it on my own in another country.

How To Stay Safe:

I think of myself as a pretty strong and smart individual. That being said, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a pretty small female who can be easily grabbed and taken (although my left hook is mean and I would put up a good fight).

My parents played a big part in helping me plan this trip. When we started booking everything, the bigger conversation was about how I was going to stay safe.

When we booked hotels we looked for places that were central to the city so I didn’t have to go far to get to places I wanted to see, and also looked pretty heavily at ratings.

If you do your research beforehand about where to be, and more importantly where not to be, it will help you be prepared. I think what helps me the most in all situations (not just traveling) is being extremely aware and overcautious.

If a situation doesn’t feel right I always trust my gut. I always am knowledgeable about my surroundings so I can’t easily be caught off guard, and I try to be prepared.

This means: having a charged phone at all times so I can call for help or navigate if I get lost, having extra cash in case I get myself in a bind, knowing the address of the place I’m staying, and not putting myself into positions of situations that could possibly be dangerous.

Part of traveling is finding solutions when things go wrong, but it’s always more fun to travel when you don’t feel unsafe.

What I Learned:

The most important part of this trip for me was that it ended up being a huge period of personal growth.

I embraced every aspect of living in the adventure this trip. I ignored my usual workout routine and strict diet and let myself eat what my body wanted and got in a quick workout if I had the time and felt like one.

In Iceland, I rented a car and knew I wouldn’t be able to see everything I wanted in the few days I was there. I didn’t have a schedule which is rare for me, and instead just drove and let my days be dictated by whatever I happened to come across that day. It was a freeing feeling to not feel like I had to do anything.

I also learned that most people are absolutely willing to help you if you’re willing to ask. If I ever had a problem, was lost, needed someone to take a picture of me, or had a question, and just asked the first person nearby, I never had a problem with someone being willing to help me! Faith in the world, absolutely restored.

If you open yourself up to conversations, you can meet some pretty incredible people in unexpected people. Just because you’re traveling solo doesn’t mean you have to be solo the whole time!

More than anything I learned that I can.

When I couldn’t find how to open the gas cap on my car in the middle of trying to refuel in Iceland, I figured it out. When my train from Galway to Dublin took me to the wrong station, I figured it out. When I wiped on some ice out hiking on my own in Iceland, I got back in and figured it out.

What I’m taking away from this trip is that I’m so grateful to be able to live such a blessed life. A life that allows me to completely take the world on head first in some of the most beautiful places in the entire world.

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.
Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH