Culture > News

Single-use plastics banned in Canada: Here’s how to prepare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As of Dec. 20, 2022, the manufacturing and importing of certain single-use plastics are prohibited in Canada. This includes checkout bags, straws, cutlery, food serveware, stir sticks and ring carriers used to keep beverages together. 

The regulations will be gradually implemented, with prohibitions being enforced on a staggered timeline. These changes result in a big adjustment for some Canadians and will definitely take time to get used to. So, here are some tips on how to make this transition run more smoothly.

Keep reusable bags handy

I recommend keeping reusable grocery bags handy in places you often frequent. For instance, you can put them by the door for quick access on the way out, keep some in your car, and even fold up a small one to keep in your purse. Putting them in visible places will help you remember to bring them and have them handy if you need to take a trip to the store.

I purchased a tote bag that is the size of a big grocery bag but folds up into the size of a card case. It was only a couple of dollars from my local grocery store, and I keep it in my purse or backpack. For similar options, check out Amazon, which has options like this large pack of foldable bags. 

There are concerns that banning plastic bags will just result in the over-use of cloth ones. Hopefully, we can prevent this from happening by always reusing our bags and coming prepared so that there are no temptations to buy them unnecessarily. This will save money and help save the planet from overproduction and consumption.  

Bring your own reusable straws

Along the same lines as the first tip, it can be helpful to bring your own straws or to have them accessible when you need them. Many businesses offer paper straws as an alternative to plastic ones, which not everyone is a fan of due to the texture they develop over time sitting in a drink. If you prefer, you can carry your own portable reusable straws, which can be made out of stainless steel or glass. Many straws are available on the market, like this expandable stainless steel one or these glass straws with fun designs.  

Reusable cutlery is a good option

Take-out places are also now using different materials for their cutlery, like how Mcdonald’s uses wood. However, not everyone enjoys using wooden cutlery with their food. If this is the case for you, you can always carry around a small, reusable cutlery set.

You can purchase different sets from Etsy, Indigo and even Old Navy. Opting for a reusable cutlery set can make your eating experience more enjoyable and save you from disposing of single-use cutlery.

Reusable Stir Sticks

Businesses like Tim Hortons have already replaced plastic stir sticks with wood-based ones. If you wish to go for a reusable alternative, take a look at some stainless steel options. You can find them sporting different designs or simply in the form of a stick. For instance, Amazon sells these ones with donuts on the top and these sleek ones with a flat end.

Plastic ring carrier alternatives

Plastic ring carriers threaten wildlife because they can entangle animals and be harmfully ingested. As an alternative, cardboard boxes can be used to carry drinks. Also, different companies sell eco-friendly replacements. For instance, the company E6PR makes drink-carrying rings that are compostable and biodegradable. Businesses can also work with companies like Fishbone, which produces branded recyclable drink carriers.

Understand that it will take time to get used to

This ban can effectively get rid of some of Canada’s harmful single-use plastics, but it is a substantial change for those used to plastic alternatives. Yet, this change is necessary and will hopefully become the norm as we get into a new routine.

Sakina Chaudary

Toronto MU '24

Fourth year journalism student based in Toronto.