‘Red, White and Blue’ Delivers an Impactful Message About Women’s Reproductive Rights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Content Warning: This story discusses topics pertaining to abortion and reproductive rights.

While women who reside in Canada are currently given full autonomy over their reproductive health, many individuals across the world don’t have this same freedom, including those in the United States.

No two situations are the same, and there are several factors that come into play regarding the health, safety and wellbeing of an expecting mother. Red, White and Blue explores this exact struggle as an American mother of two faces the seemingly impossible task of fighting to obtain an out-of-state abortion. 

This short film marks the directorial debut of Nazrin Choudhury, who also wrote and produced the film. It packs an emotional punch while speaking to an issue that has become especially prevalent within the United States over the past few years.

Starring Brittany Snow (Pitch Perfect) and Juliet Donenfeld (Young Jedi Adventures), Red, White and Blue tells the story of Rachel, a hardworking mother who does what she can to provide for her children, Maddy and Jake. However, money is extremely tight, and their living situation is certainly not ideal. However, when Rachel begins seeking out an abortion clinic outside of Arkansas, she realizes just how difficult it will be to obtain this necessary procedure. As Rachel sets out on this journey, she learns how women lift each other up and come together when she needs it most. 

The film sheds light on the realities of seeking out an abortion in a country where 14 states have banned the procedure in almost all circumstances. While travelling out-of-state may be an option for some, this film shows that this decision cannot be taken lightly in every instance, as medical bills, travel expenses, and time away from work can make this trip nearly impossible for those living paycheck-to-paycheck. 

With the overturning of Roe v. Wade in the United States in June 2022, millions of women across the country lost the rights to their own bodies, allowing individual states to decide to what extent abortions will legally be allowed, if at all.

In an interview with Her Campus, Choudhury said, “Even though anyone reading the [signs] could see [the overturning] coming down the line for us, I don’t think everyone truly believed it would happen.”

Choudhury said she chose to write a film regarding this subject matter because she felt that as a storyteller, it was impossible to digest what was happening to women in the United States without putting herself in their shoes, truly imagining what the circumstances are for “millions of ordinary Americans.” 

“There were things happening in the immediate aftermath of [overturning Roe v. Wade],” Choudhury said. “There were news headlines that felt so egregious… which just spoke to the lack of humanity and nuance when talking about [abortions] and its real-world consequences.”

Red, White and Blue is an emotional story, to say the least, truly tapping into real-world issues and responses that women face while tasked with obtaining an essential medical procedure. The film has a purpose of reaching out to those whose stories may go untold or overlooked, “putting you in the place of someone that has a predicament that you may not have, but allow you to just walk a mile in their shoes,” Choudhury said. 

During filming, Choudhury said the crew ran into several technical issues. During the cast’s final day on set, a necessary piece of equipment, one that is key to the storyline nearing the end of the film, broke down. Luckily, with Choudhury’s extensive background on television and film sets, she was able to effectively lead the team in coming up with a solution in time to film the scene. 

Additionally, the film was shot throughout Los Angeles during the months when favourable weather can usually be expected. This was an asset to the cast and crew, as many of the scenes in this film are shot outside. However, Choudhury said that during their already tight shooting schedule, they experienced three straight days of rain. While she did add that the dreary weather added to the realistic value of the film’s setting in Arkansas, Choudhury said, “It wasn’t great for filming.”

Luckily, just before Choudhury made the final call to flip their original filming schedule, as the crew was keeping an eye on the weather forecast and aimed to film their exterior scenes on days when the skies were clear, she ultimately stuck to their original plan. This ended up working out for the crew in the long run because the rain came a day later than what the forecast was predicting. Choudhury was worried because she planned to flip their filming schedule days to avoid the rain.

“I’m so glad we didn’t because it threatened to rain, and in fact, the rain came the next day,” said Choudhury. “So thank God because if we had flipped it… our film could have completely been destroyed.”

It being her first time in the director’s chair, Choudhury said her biggest takeaway from this film is knowing that she will continue to learn from her experiences and time in the industry. She acknowledged that imposter syndrome is real for anyone who is taking on a new project and that for any director, no two films are the same.

From the cast, crew, location, and challenges on set, “One element changing alters the whole melting pot that you’re operating in,” Choudhury said. She also said that she continues to welcome advice from her friends in the industry and takes inspiration from various directors, including Greta Gerwig and Sara Polley.

“I think like our male peers do, [women] should have the confidence of not waiting until we’re ready [to take on a new project] because there’s no perfect timing to do anything,” Choudhury expressed. “If you fail, you fail, but that’s part of the journey, right?” 

Following Red, White and Blue’s release at the Edmonton International Film Festival (EIFF), it was granted the Grand Jury Award for best live-action short film. Due to this award, the film has been shortlisted for an Academy Award.

Choudhury said that she and the entire cast and crew are thrilled, but for herself, this project was not written with the intention of receiving award season nominations. Choudhury said her main goal was to “provoke a conversation.” She wanted to make this story one that connects with individuals on an emotional level but also one that could spark the ability for more comfortable conversations about abortion.

“If people can sit around a table and talk about this story in a non-judgemental way and effects change in their hearts, that’s what I set out to do [with this project,]” said Choudhury. 

While this film deals with dark subject matters, Choudhury also hopes that viewers take away an additional meaning from the film. While Red, White and Blue ultimately focuses on abortion rights and accessibility needs, “it also acts as a celebration of motherhood.”

In my opinion, Red, White and Blue is an incredibly moving film that brings forth an emotional response from its viewers. It is raw and beautiful in all the right ways and truly shows the implications of overturning Roe v. Wade. This film made me reflect on how I would handle being in Rachel’s situation, and it was next to impossible to imagine what she had to endure in silence as she sought out an abortion.

I viewed the film four times before I wrote this piece for two reasons; one being that I wanted to be prepared to speak with Choudhury and ask all the right questions, in order to gain a full understanding of what went into making this film. Secondly, I cannot remember the last time I watched a film and was so struck by its message and how it went about doing so. Even as someone who resides outside of the United States, I could not help but sympathize with Rachel and her situation.

I was blown away by Snow’s heartfelt performance, as many people would recognize her from upbeat roles, including Pitch Perfect, John Tucker Must Die, and Hairspray. However, she did a phenomenal job of portraying this role, and I hope to see her in more serious, emotionally connecting roles in the future.

Additionally, Juliet Donenfeld did an outstanding job of tapping into her character, which deals with heavy subject matters at such a young age.

Overall, this is a beautifully crafted film that not only raises awareness for an extremely important issue but also provides individuals with a platform to have open and honest conversations about the topic of abortion.

Red, White and Blue does not currently have a release date, but be sure to connect with them on Instagram to stay up to date on where you can view this film in your area in the near future.

Nicole Soroka

Toronto MU '26

Hey, I'm Nicole Soroka, a second-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. My passions include reporting through broadcast television and radio, specifically on the entertainment industry. I'm a huge film buff and when I'm not at the movie theatre, you'll probably find me re-watching one of my favourite early 2000's T.V. shows (nothing will ever compare to The O.C.)! You can find me on Instagram @nicolesoroka04 or on X @nicole__soroka