Style > Beauty

Popular Makeup Products That Are Actually Worth The Hype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Trying to figure out if that “top-rated” makeup product is actually as good as everyone says it is can be a frustrating process. Sometimes even the products that blow up on TikTok receive far too many negative reviews. Luckily, I’ve tested out quite a few of the Internet’s most raved-about products to see if they actually live up to their high ratings. Even though you’ve probably heard of most of these products, they definitely deserve the hype. After all, they’re popular for a reason!

Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter ($62)

This one has been hyped up way too much on TikTok, but trust me; it’s definitely worth the money. 

If you never wear foundation because it makes your makeup look cakey, the Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter is a great replacement. It’s lightweight, glowy, crease-free and super easy to apply. However, the full size is a bit pricey, so I would recommend purchasing the mini size first (just in case you don’t like it).

Rare Beauty Soft Pinch Liquid Blush ($30)

This is one of my all-time favourite liquid blush products. I used to wear the Glossier Cloud Paint, but it would always disappear by the end of the day. The Soft Pinch Liquid Blush lasted all day, even while wearing a mask. My favourite shades are “Encourage” and “Hope.” This stuff is also super easy to apply, but beware — it is extremely pigmented. A little bit definitely goes a long way.

Laneige Lip Glowy Bomb ($20)

I’m a sucker for lip products. I bought this one a few months ago and haven’t stopped wearing it since. If your lips are dry from the cold weather, but you want something that has a glossy consistency, you need to check this out. I would recommend the colour “Berry” — the scent is super refreshing, and I’m obsessed with its subtle pink tint.

Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Setting Spray ($48)

This was the first setting spray I ever purchased, and I don’t regret my decision at all. It makes my skin look glowy and is great for holding my makeup in place throughout the day. However, I would recommend using this before you apply mascara. I have straight lashes, and the dampness of the spray tends to weigh them down. 

Like the Flawless Filter, this product is also available in a mini size for $26.

L’Oréal Paris Waterproof Telescopic Mascara ($13)

This mascara has been my go-to since high school. So far, I haven’t been able to find one that beats it. 

If you have straight lashes like me, the L’Oréal Paris Waterproof Telescopic Mascara is a great way to help your curls stay in place all day. It also comes with a thin brush that helps you avoid smudging residue on your eyelids. Buy it!

Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat Lip Liner ($32)

I’ve already recommended two other Charlotte Tilbury products, but they’re just so good that I couldn’t resist. 

I’m still trying to master my lip combo, but the Lip Cheat lip liner is one of my favourite products to wear on a night out. The most popular (and in my opinion, the prettiest) shade is Pillow Talk, but this item also offers different shades of pinks and reds that you can choose from. This product also works great with the Matte Revolution Lipstick or a shiny pink gloss. 

If any of these interest you, purchase them before it’s too late! 

Claire is an English BA student at Toronto Metropolitan University. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending her free time wandering through the aisles of her local bookstore, attending concerts, and cooking new (and sometimes disappointing) recipes.