Pop-Punk Is Not Dead! 10 Artists Bringing The Genre Back to Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Early this year, Live Nation announced the When We Were Young festival, featuring a maxed-out line-up of generations of pop-punk performers. 

And as soon as the three dates of the festival went on sale, they instantly sold out. 

It’s safe to say that in 2022, pop-punk is looking for a comeback, and I say it’s about damn time. Below are 10 artists who are hitting the ground running, bringing life back to a genre that was slowly fading away.

AVRIL LAVIGNE

With unmatched vocals, style and attitude, there’s a reason why Avril Lavigne has stayed on top since her emergence in 2002. With her seventh studio album, Love Sux, which dropped at the end of February, Avril is (finally) back. 

Signing with Travis Barker’s DTA records late last year, the Canadian queen is going back to her roots, releasing the pop-punk/alternative record that fans have been feening for since The Best Damn Thing

Paving the way for female artists across all genres, there’s no doubt in my mind that the genre would not be where it is today if it wasn’t for the pop-punk princess herself. 

Song to Check Out: “Bite Me

YUNGBLUD

If there’s one thing that defines YUNGBLUD, it’s the community behind him. Seven years into his career, YUNGBLUD still performs outside venues after each show, refuses to charge for meet-and-greets and constantly interacts with his fans online. That’s about as pop-punk as it gets.

His production style is infectious, his misfit energy is contagious and his socks are always pink. Through raunchy, political and provocative lyrics, Dominic Harrison, a.k.a. YUNGBLUD, works to tear down the norms set in place by previous generations. The Doncaster native preaches the importance of self-acceptance and the irrelevance behind fitting in.  

Song To Check Out:  “Weird!”

jxdn

Since signing with Travis Barker’s DTA records in early 2020, Jaden Hossler, otherwise known as jxdn, has taken the pop-punk space by storm. 

His sophomore single “Angels & Demons” went mega-viral on TikTok, legitimizing his music career and stripping away his TikTok influencer reputation. Only 21 years old, the Texas native has opened for Machine Gun Kelly and worked alongside some of pop-punk’s greatest. 

Song To Check Out: “DTA

LØLØ

I may have been late to the game, but discovering LØLØ has been one of the best things to come out of 2022. 

The Toronto native recently teamed up with Maggie Lindemann to put out one of 2022’s catchiest singles, “debbie downer,” whose hook is inspired by the iconic cheers from the 2000 cult classic Bring It On. The single brings two of the genre’s strongest emerging ladies together, creating the perfect combination of attitude, edge and Y2K influence.

LØLØ’s latest EP Overkill is filled with all the angsty and self-deprecating lyrics that are best sung at the top of your lungs. Messy, unapologetic and overflowing with emotion, LØLØ is pop-punk in its truest form. 

Song to Check Out: “debbie downer” feat. Maggie Lindemann

HUDDY

Hype House founder turned musician Chase Hudson, a.k.a Huddy, released his debut album Teenage Heartbreak late last year. With production drenched in early 2000s pop-punk influence, the record is exactly what the title suggests. Huddy belts about the bittersweet moments that come along with falling in love and the angst and frustration that comes from falling out of it. A cohesive fusion of pop, punk and alternative, Huddy’s lyricism and distinct vocals make Teenage Heartbreak an album I truly can’t get enough of.

Working with artists such as Iann Dior, Travis Barker and The All American Reject’s Tyson Ritter, Huddy is showing the world that his musical journey is the furthest thing from a phase. 

Song to Check Out: “How It Ends

SIMPLE PLAN

Ever since I can remember, Simple Plan has been a part of my musical rotation. Growing up in a household driven by pop-punk made the band a constant staple on our stereo.  

After releasing their debut album 20 years ago, the Montreal natives continue to show no signs of slowing down. The band put out a single “Ruin My Life” with fellow pop-punk legend Sum 41’s Deryck Whibley earlier in February, teasing a new album rumoured to come out early this year.

With old tracks that bring me right back to my childhood and new releases that continue to go straight to my Spotify playlists, Simple Plan continues to stand strong at the top of the genre and make Canadians proud.

Song To Check Out: “Ruin My Life” feat. Deryck Whibley

girlfriends

Discovering girlfriends felt like striking gold.

In late 2019, pop-punk veterans Travis Mills and Nick Gross joined forces to create girlfriends, a band I didn’t know how badly I needed.

Their debut, self-titled album is the perfect fusion of early 2000s pop-punk influence and modern-day production. With vulnerable lyrics layered beneath heavy drums and compelling guitar riffs, girlfriends create tracks that demand your attention and crave your energy.

With cathartic choruses, and adrenaline running through the veins of each track, girlfriends will have you wishing you were dancing in a mosh pit after every listen.

Song to Check Out: “California

maggie lindemann

After years of releasing successful pop hits, Maggie Lindemann has turned to the music that feels most authentic to her creative self: Pop-punk.

Early last year, Maggie released her debut EP, Paranoia, filled from top to bottom with songs that are an ode to the music she grew up listening to. One of my favourite releases of 2021, I personally believe that Paranoia is one of the best pieces of modern day pop-punk. 

Her latest release, “she knows it,” is comparable to Avril Lavigne’s “Girlfriend,” and tackles the inner frustration of liking a girl who has a boyfriend. A song equally as important to Lindemann as to the LGBTQ+  community, “she knows it,” features heavy guitars, powerful vocals and a story that leaves you wanting more.

Song To Check Out: “she knows it

MOD SUN

Collaborating on a variety of projects with artists such as Machine Gun Kelly and Avril Lavigne, MOD SUN is at the forefront of the decade’s pop-punk revival. 

No stranger to the space Derek Smith, a.k.a MOD SUN, started his career as a drummer for pop-punk bands before venturing out into other genres.   

In early 2021, MOD SUN released the pop-punk record Internet Killed The Rockstar – a collective of anthemic and candid tracks. An album about living your truth, IKTR is a feel-good record that reminds me of why I love the genre as deeply as I do

Song to Check Out: “Karma

machine gun kelly & Travis barker

There’s no doubt that Machine Gun Kelly and Travis Barker were the leading forces in the decade’s pop-punk revival. Their collaborative album Tickets To My Downfall was one of the biggest releases of 2021 and sparked a flame that had been dying to be ignited.

Tickets To My Downfall was the album that convinced the world that there was a piece of music missing in our modern-day listening: Pop-punk. An unexpected collaboration, MGK and Barker have since gone on to collaborate with other artists such as Avril Lavigne, YUNGBLUD, MOD SUN and Maggie Lindemann, showing the world the impact of Tickets To My Downfall is one that is here to stay.

Song To Check Out: “title track

Bayli Iorio Wilson

Toronto MU '23

Born and raised in Toronto, Bayli is in her 4th year of Media Production at TMU. Obsessed with music, live shows and all things pop culture, you can almost always find her at a concert or rewatching early 2000s teen dramas!