Nicki Minaj, Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion: The Trifecta of Female Sexual Liberation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

For decades, men have been at the forefront of rap music and culture, but in recent years, several women in rap have dominated the charts. With women’s rap taking over many of our headphones, I have noticed an increase in female sexual expression and liberation in mainstream media. The women responsible for this incredible change have transformed the landscape of female rap and female rap culture.

Nicki Minaj, Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion are no strangers to public disapproval in terms of their music and the manner in which they carry themselves. However, I believe that their music, alongside other groundbreaking female musicians’, has had an incredible impact. With the release of the revolutionary song WAP from Cardi B and MTS, the spur in global female sexual liberation is hard to deny. While there is much debate over whether or not WAP is a titular piece of feminist media, it has definitely shaken things up for women and girls. People all over the world have been taking part in the WAP challenge, the Savage dance routine and rapping lyrics to Anaconda

These artists have taught us that women can––and do––like sex. This normalization of female sexual pleasure is actually quite a positive stroke in the world of feminism. Though this sexual expression can be seen as objectification of their own bodies, I think it’s actually a powerful decision to show women engaging in healthy sexual expression and desire. If fallen into the wrong hands, the content these women put out could be misconstrued. This is why it’s important for there to be a proper discussion between adults and young girls about the meaning of their music. I don’t think it’s necessary to censor their songs as a whole. Has any male rapper’s music ever been censored?

Altogether, I have sensed a shift in women’s sexual comfortability as a result of the content Nicki, Cardi and Megan have produced. Their goal might not be to create a wave of modern feminism, but it is definitely the direction they are moving in. Agree with it or not, it’s about time women took back power over their bodies, their expression and their sexuality.

I'm Sam and I'm a Media Production student minoring in Global Politics at TMU! You can usually catch me thrifting, running or buying too many books. I love to over analyze films and write about them.