Nicaragua’s Miss Universe Victory Ignites a Wave of Empowerment for Young Girls and Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Sheynnis Palacios of Nicaragua was crowned the 2023 Miss Universe, making history as the first Nicaraguan winner at the 72nd beauty pageant. This victory marked a momentous milestone, shaping Palacios’ life and leaving a lasting imprint on her country. 

As a mental health activist and audiovisual producer from Managua, Nicaragua, the 23-year-old has inspired millions of girls and women worldwide. 

The journey to her crown was far from easy. While participating in numerous pageant competitions to be recognized for the title of Miss Universe, Palacios’s past was anything but luxurious. From her humble beginnings in a poor community in Nicaragua, she often confronted financial struggles and mental health challenges. 

During a Miss Universe pageant interview, Palacios shared her struggles with anxiety, “It all started with my anxious episodes that began when I was 18 years old. I reached the point of harming my arms and pulling out my hair. I didn’t have the necessary tools until I sought a specialist. That’s why I want to provide everyone, regardless of gender and age, these tools so they don’t suffer how I had to suffer.”

Palacios dedicated her platform to mental health advocacy, drawing from her personal experience with mental health. Recognizing the limited focus in her country, she launched her TV project “Entiende tu mente,” which translates to “Understand your mind,” highlighting the importance of addressing mental health stigma. 

Throughout her time in the pageant, Palacios also focused on women’s empowerment, not only for women in her country but also for women around the world. 

During the final interview, Palacios was asked: “If you could live one year in another woman’s shoes, who would you choose and why?”

Miss Nicaragua answered with Mary Wollstonecraft, an English writer and renowned women’s activist, and said that Wollstonecraft “opened the gap and gave an opportunity to many women so that women can work in any area that they choose to work in because there are no limitations for women.”

Sheynnis Palacios not only highlights the glamour of a beauty pageant but also sheds light on the extraordinary changes in gender equality, mental health education, and the transformative power of representation in the media. 

Miss Nicauargua’s victory has sparked changes all over Central America, advancing women’s empowerment and enhancing mental health resources. 

Kassandra Guevara

Toronto MU '26

Kassandra, a second-year journalism student, is a passionate traveller who can't resist the allure of social media, live music, and exploring the vibrant streets of Toronto. Kassandra can be found dancing to the rhythm of concerts and enthusiastically sharing her adventures and vibrant moments of the city she loves. Find her on Instagram @kassandraguevara_