The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I never used to be much of a makeup guru, but in the last year, I have really grown to like makeup, even wanting to perfect my skills. I always used to buy drugstore makeup, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but for my acne-prone skin, it was not the best. So, I decided to invest in better makeup brands, and I have been very happy with the results.

The beauty of makeup is that you can play around with it, matching what works best for you and your face. I have finally developed a routine that allows me to feel confident in my skin while also keeping a glowy and dewy look, which is always my priority.

Following are my favourite makeup products and reviews. These reviews are my own personal opinion and what has worked best on my face. Everyone is different, and some products may not be as beneficial for others as they are for me, which is completely okay.

L’Oréal Paris Telescopic Mascara (ColoUr: Black)

This product is definitely my favourite. Mascara has always been my favourite product, as I love having long eyelashes that make my eyes stand out. When I first came across the Telescopic Mascara, I was in awe. It was exactly the type of mascara I needed. My favourite thing about it is how I can see a huge difference with just one coat. Depending on the occasion, one coat can be sufficient, but if you are looking for a heavier look, multiple coats also work.

It is also my favourite because of how affordable it is. You can get this mascara at any drugstore or on Amazon for under $20 CAD. However, it is such a good product that I would spend way more money on this if I had to because of its quality. The packaging is also very cute, which is a plus.

Milk Makeup Lip + Cheek Cream Blush Stick (Colours: Perk (Coral with shimmer) & Quickie (Berry))

Throughout my makeup journey, I’ve learned that powder products do not sit well on my face and that I don’t like the final matte look. I first used the Milk Lip + Cheek Cream Blush when a friend gifted it to me for Christmas, and I was in complete shock. This is the best blush I have ever used in my life. It blends in super smoothly on your face, and you can apply as much or as little as you like to fit your preference. It also leaves a dewy finish, which I really like.

In comparison to liquid and powder blushes I’ve tried, I feel this is what looks best on me and is the easiest to blend. My favourite colour is Quickie because it is the perfect mix of burgundy but also subtle pink. Although the packaging may seem small, the pigmentation is really strong, so it can last you a long time.

The price is $32 CAD and, in my opinion, totally worth it. Another thing that I really appreciate is that it is multifunctional, as it can also be used on your lips and on your eyelids. I really recommended trying out this blush if you haven’t already.

Supergoop! GlowScreen SPF 40

As someone who has never really been a fan of foundation and cakey makeup, this sunscreen completely changed my life. After I finish moisturizing my face, I always start my routine with the Supergoop! Glow Screen. Because of how tinted it is, it works as a foundation for me while also giving me the perfect glow.

It allows me to have minimal coverage, which I appreciate. It also makes your skin look super glowy and gives you extra SPF. On days I don’t feel like wearing makeup, I just put on this glow screen, and it adds minimal coverage to my face. It is definitely worth the $49 CAD. If you are someone who isn’t looking for a lot of coverage or heavy makeup, I really recommend this.

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Liquid Touch Brightening Concealer (ColoUr 260N – medium with golden undertones)

When Selena Gomez released Rare Beauty, and everyone started hyping up the brand, I knew I had to try it. The first product I ever tried was this concealer, and I absolutely loved it. It’s super easy to blend out, and it gives you the perfect coverage. Since this is all of the coverage I use, despite my Glowscreen, it really fits into my face and covers the imperfections. I also don’t feel like it’s cakey when I layer it on certain areas.

I also appreciate that it’s available in so many different colours because I was able to find the perfect shade for my skin. This concealer is on the affordable side in comparison to others on the market, at $29 CAD. If you want to try a Rare Beauty product, I definitely recommend trying this concealer.

Dior Addict Lip Maximizer Plumping Gloss (ColoUr: 030 Shimmer Rose – a shimmering pink)

Lips are always an exciting part of my makeup routine because it sets my whole face. Lately, I have been obsessed with the Dior Lip Plumping Gloss. It costs $50 CAD, which is definitely one of my priciest products, but it is worth all the hype. Unlike other lip products, it stays for a long time, and it has a beautiful shine to it. The plumping works perfectly, and you can see a difference before and after you apply the gloss. I like applying my Mac Lip Liner, some Aquaphor and then the Dior Lip Gloss. Doing it in this order allows me to maintain a beautiful colour.

Krishika Jethani

Toronto MU '23

Hi! My name is Krishika and I am a student at Toronto Metropolitan University. I am currently in the Creative Industries program studying Fashion and Journalism. I have a passion for writing and dream to someday become a journalist. I enjoy singing and watching Gilmore Girls in my free time! <3