This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Truthfully, I know I didn’t have the worst high school experience. I had a small group of close friends and we passed the time laughing at dumb jokes and doing our homework. I went to a really small school where my classmates all knew each other so high school wasn’t a scary experience at all. However, if I could go back, there are things I would do differently. This is not me giving advice to anybody but me giving advice to myself. We all had different high school experiences and my advice won’t fit for everyone but here it is:

First off, don’t overwork for school and spend more time having fun. Honestly, your grade 9 and 10 marks don’t matter for your university and you’d be better off actually having some fun in those years. And stop comparing your marks to other students, especially those you consider your friends, it doesn’t help. Second, stop being so shy! Don’t be afraid to say what’s on your mind and don’t fret about making mistakes. Trust me, nobody else cares so you shouldn’t either. Third, please stand up for yourself. If you don’t get something you know you deserve then ask why! This shouldn’t only apply to grades but to extracurricular activities as well. Show the people in charge that you don’t deserve to be snubbed for opportunities just because they think someone else is a better fit.

And finally, show some confidence. Stop caring about what others think of you and spend your time with the people that actually make you happy. Try your best and enjoy your time. As a final thought, fill your heart with happiness for others. Be excited for the achievements of others, not angry or jealous. We are all just trying to get through and it’s better to do so by supporting others. Oh and stop gossiping…horrible habit that you need to break ASAP.

Do you have anything you wish you could say to your high school self? Tweet us @HCRyerson.

Jasmeen is a biomedical science major at Ryerson University. She enjoys movies, reading novels and playing with dogs
Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH