how to set boundaries at work?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
how to set boundaries at work?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
20th Century Fox
Career > Work

Let’s Talk About Overcoming Work Doubts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Ever since I was 15, I’ve always had a job. I started by working at a car manufacturing company for a student program my mom signed me up for. I then worked at McDonald’s for over three years while at the same time working a second job at Costco, then moving to a luxury retail store for another three years.

In all those years of working, I’ve never complained if I was feeling miserable or had any conflict with my coworkers if they scheduled me on a day I either booked off or was not part of my availability. Why? I guess because the culture was different during that time. I didn’t want to sound pushy, and I feared they would fire me at some point if I complained too much. But working as a manager in retail, with the work culture being more accommodating, I regret not confiding in my managers when I should have.

After a year of being part of management, I’ve realized how hesitant my employees are in expressing their feelings about work, especially the younger ones (16-18 years old). An important reminder I want all working people to know is: YOU HAVE RIGHTS!

I remember being in high school, and I was given a task that was not part of my job description, and I was uncomfortable with it, but I never said anything. Looking back at it now, I really wish I hadn’t looked over my rights as an employee and implemented them when I could.

As standard, before you enter any working field, in Ontario you are entitled to the Employment Standards Act, as well as the Ontario Human Rights Commission regarding employment. I feel like many people forget that.

As a synopsis, the Employment Standards Act refers specifically to modes of operation, hours, maternity/paternity leave and vacation. At the same time, the Ontario Human Rights Commission on Employment refers to more internal issues, such as discrimination at work and hiring operations. In addition, if you are truly uncomfortable talking to a manager, most workplaces have hotlines and encourage the use of them, if necessary.

All and all, a motto I keep reminding myself, even as a manager, is “a closed mouth never gets heard.” In other words, no matter what position you’re in on the workplace food chain, a manager should always have your back, and if you are not satisfied, LET THEM KNOW!

Kathryn Sevilla

Toronto MU '23

I am a 4th year English major at Ryerson University. As my aspirations grow, I am writing to connect with readers in everyday situations, problems, and feelings. Here to make all audiences feel relevant and heard one article at a time. Content may include and is not limited to social injustices, your daily news, mental health and wellness, and style and beauty.