Kim Kardashian: She’s the Man (Of the Year) 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Reality TV star, business mogul, fashion designer and potential lawyer all in one — Kim Kardashian can add another title to her already successful empire: Man of the Year.

An award most often reserved for men, Kardashian’s presence on the cover of GQ Magazine alongside candidates Travis Scott and Jacob Elordi signifies a bold and powerful step for women surpassing societal expectations and breaking gender norms.

When we think of business, the next word that often comes to mind to complete the phrase is “man.” The significance of Kim Kardashian being chosen as Man of the Year goes beyond traditional male-dominated societal norms and offers a female perspective from perhaps one of the most influential businesswomen of our generation. 

With a net worth of 1.7 billion USD, Kardashian was recently honoured for the newest expansion of her SKIMS line that introduced a collection of men’s underwear and loungewear. Shortly after, SKIMS became the official underwear sponsor for the NBA.

Of the several successions, vocations, and businesses dominated by Kardashian, SKIMS is easily her biggest, with a total worth of 4 Billion USD alone. This influential presence in fashion is demonstrated by her ability to cater to the concept of inclusivity and diversity, providing a wide range of products that consider all body types and physical disabilities.

Kim Kardashian on the cover of GQ Magazine.

By creating a space in which women don’t feel the need to conform to unrealistic expectations of the male gaze, beauty in all forms is welcomed and appreciated. SKIMS takes the step many fashion brands have failed to do — make women comfortable taking up space in a world that was supposed to be created for them. 

But her influence doesn’t stop just there. As a mother of four kids, she discusses her struggles and successes with balancing motherhood along with managing her business ventures. Her ability to take on so many responsibilities at once is not only impressive but serves as a reminder that being a successful woman doesn’t require the presence of a man.

Although being a single mother is challenging, Kardashian handles it with grace, protecting her kids from headlines regarding their father. It shows that she doesn’t need to engage in putting other people down to rise to the top, especially those who once played a significant role in her life. 

Despite her successful business career, perhaps the most admirable move she’s made is her decision to follow in her father’s footsteps in becoming a criminal justice lawyer.

Not only is she breaking barriers by using her platform to advocate for social change, but she is actively fighting for inmates, the majority of whom were wrongfully sentenced and unnecessarily incarcerated. Following the release of Alice Marie Johnson, a case where Kardashian’s presence was heavily involved, her voice underscores a powerful effect in fighting back against systemic oppression. 

The title of “Man of The Year,” coupled with Kardashian’s choice of adorning a pinstripe suit on the cover, surpasses nonconforming gender roles but also sends the message that women can be whoever they want to be and transcend past titles that aren’t meant to include them! By making her presence known and having a powerful voice, Kim Kardashian has inserted herself into a space where women can defy expectations historically imposed on them.

Gagni Tiwana

Toronto MU '24

English Major, Book Lover, and a Vintage Fashion Enthusiast at Toronto Metropolitan University The future chief and editor of Vogue (hopefully)