This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Winter can be a tough time in Toronto. With short days and long nights, snow storms and freezing cold weather, many of us begin to change our daily routines to compromise for the changes that winter brings.

Unlike many places in the world, we get to experience all four seasons, each bringing its pros and cons. Winter seems to bring the most discomfort because of the cold. But with warm drinks, holiday movies and activities, winter can provide a unique experience. What better place to experience it than in one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world?

So, here are five indoor and outdoor activities in Toronto that you can enjoy during this winter season.

Skating at Nathan Phillips Square

With a variety of communities and special events being hosted each year, Nathan Phillips Square attracts 1.8 million visitors annually. With an area of 4.85 hectares (12 acres), it’s Canada’s largest and most visited city square. 

Every season, there are a variety of activities held at the square. In the winter, the water fountains turn into an outdoor ice rink. There are a number of places in Toronto to enjoy skating; however, none are as captivating and large as Nathan Phillips Square. What better place to enjoy classic winter skating than in the heart of Toronto itself? 

Skates can be rented at Nathan Phillips Square, or you can bring your own and spend your time in the beautiful downtown core while enjoying the crystal ice at Canada’s largest square. 

Toronto Christmas market

When watching Christmas movies, we are often captivated by the scenery and decorations. The colourful lights, handcrafted gifts, vendor cabins, festive treats, and, of course, the Christmas tree. All of these can be seen and enjoyed this winter season at the Toronto Christmas market in the Distillery District.  

With thousands of visitors coming in each winter season, this holiday market can be enjoyed by all its sceneries and activities. You can find a number of special winter drinks, food and trinkets, all while taking a long walk throughout the Distillery District.

The market is set to run from Nov. 16 to Dec. 31 this year. 

WinterFest at Canada’s Wonderland

If the winter market feels too simple, the WinterFest at Canada’s Wonderland does the same job…except it’s on a larger scale with more activities.

Canada’s Wonderland is an amusement park with some of the best roller coaster rides in the world. However, the amusement park transforms into a magical winter wonderland during the winter. 

They feature ice skating, over a dozen live shows with holiday entertainment, incredible rides, millions of spectacular lights and hundreds of Christmas trees scattered throughout the park, with two outstanding 50-foot Christmas trees. 

If you want to experience all there is this winter, look no further than Canada’s Wonderland.

Illumi Toronto

With the long and cold winter nights, the bright and colourful lights are one of the most eye-appealing winter displays. If you enjoy taking nightly walks during the winter, this outdoor light display will give you an experience like no other. 

With an outstanding display of over 20 million lights making up the 14 different universes, illumi is the world’s largest light, sound, and multimedia show.

Those long dark nights don’t have to feel so dark — with illumi the night is always bright.

Winter shopping at Toronto Eaton Centre

To end things off, we cannot skip the essential winter shopping. Toronto’s winter makes up for a large portion of the year — winter jackets, winter shoes, and even shopping for gifts can all be found in the mall at the heart of Toronto, The Toronto Eaton Centre.

With almost every mainstream shopping brand there is, you can find an unlimited range of different essentials to shop for. 

As previously mentioned, winter comes with its good and bad. Regardless, make the most of that experience and enjoy your own version of a winter wonderland.

Hey, I'm Husam, a first-year Journalism student from Mississauga, Ontario. Although this is my first year in Journalism, I was studying a different program for 2 years before I decided to transfer. I believe during university one can carry a lot of stress and confusion. I want to use my opportunity at Her Campus to share my experiences of finding myself and growth, as well as be able to connect and learn from others as well. I enjoy playing soccer, reading, writing, and learning new languages. I will be posting articles as often as I can during this school year, so feel free to check it out and reach out to me.