Text reading \"SPEED HISTORY\". Photos of leZlie lee kam and Usman Khan over background and illustrated image of a yellow face with flowers.
Buddies In Bad Times Theatre/ Mitch Duncan

Intergenerational Harmony: The Youth/Elders Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Welcome to the heartening realm of the Youth Elders Program, where age is revered, wisdom is cherished, and connections transcend generational boundaries.

The Youth Elders Program, affectionately dubbed YEP, is a unique endeavour aimed at fostering intergenerational understanding and respect within communities. Hosts Usman Khan and leZlie lee kam bring together the vibrancy of youth and the profound experience of elders in a setting where both groups can learn, share, and grow together. The hosts began working together two years ago, with their most recent event taking place over Zoom on Feb. 12, 2024. 

Working with the world’s longest-running 2SLGBTQIA+ theatre, the Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, YEP, through activities, mentorship, and companionship, gives youth and elders the ability to contribute to each other’s lives positively. Thus, it fosters a sense of belonging and community resilience in a space dedicated to queer art, culture, and joy.

“We really need to be taking care of each other,” said lee kam, underlining the importance of this safe space for queer people.

This ongoing program was created in response to the lack of intergenerational dialogue within the queer community. Launched in 2016, the program aims to build and foster a community of queer people of all ages. Hosting multiple activities and events both online and in the theatre, YEP has created a space for queer people of all ages to come together to share their history and life experiences.

The program’s activities range from storytelling sessions — where elders and youth alike share their stories and experiences of being queer in their respective communities — to education on queer news and events. All activities ensure dialogue between 2SLGBTQ+ people of all ages, facilitating mutual learning and understanding.

Moreover, the Youth Elders Program cultivates an environment conducive to forming meaningful relationships.

“There are very specific spaces such as clubs or bars that are designed for our community, but most of them are not made for everyone,” Khan, the program’s youth representative, said. 

The benefits of YEP extend beyond its immediate participants. For the youth, it offers invaluable insights gleaned from the life experiences of their elders. For Khan, the program was one of their first exposures to intergenerational dialogue, saying it was “the first space I met a queer senior.”

At its core, the Youth Elders Program serves as a beacon of unity and empathy — a testament to the enduring power of human connection amidst a backdrop of societal flux and discord. It brings together queer people of all ages, celebrating our shared experiences and exploring our differences within the 2SLGBTQ+ community.

With an in-person Speed History event on March 4 and a Rainbow Seniors Show on May 25, the program plans to continue their journey of bringing together queer people of all ages and fostering a loving intergenerational community. The program remains open to all participants, encouraging people to come together to experience the rare space and learn more about the experiences of 2SLGBTQ+ people of all ages.

Terri Edward

Toronto MU '27

Terri Edward is a writer for Her Campus, and a first year Journalism student at Toronto MU. Her writing focuses on politics, arts and culture, music, and anything relating to women's experiences. Terri is a team member of the Young Writers Project, a student led community for young writers to share ideas and gain experience and feedback. Outside of journalistic pieces, Terri enjoys writing poetry and prose and publishing poems on Substack. She loves playing piano, teaching her music students and listening to music. Terri also enjoys vintage shopping and thrifting, as well as listening to podcasts.