How to be Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City While in Toronto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Sex and the City is one of those iconic shows that we all know and love. Following Carrie Bradshaw, the main character, through her relationship troubles, taught us how to evaluate our own relationships with others. Not to mention, the fashion in Sex and the City is still talked about today!

Carrie lived her life as a columnist in New York City. Many viewers, such as myself, don’t live in New York. Luckily though, I live in the even more gorgeous city of Toronto.  In quintessential Carrie Bradshaw fashion, I sat at my desk in front of my laptop and thought about how to live out my Carrie Bradshaw fantasy. 

I tried to imagine what Carrie would do if Sex and the City took place in Toronto and where she and her gal pals would go.

Facials, manicures and self-care

First, try out Majesty’s Pleasure next time you’re strolling on King Street West. From manicures and pedicures to facials and massages, this King Street staple is perfect for all your self-care needs. You and your girls can spend a Sunday afternoon unwinding, with a drink in hand.

Snacks and girl talk

Let’s face it, whether it’s a bench in Central Park or a table at the fanciest new restaurant in town, a group of friends always needs a spot to call their own. In Sex and the City, the girls are always seen gossiping about their crazy weekend endeavours in different places around the city. For the same chic vibe in Toronto, try Café Boulud, located in the Four Seasons Hotel. They serve authentic French dishes and have a great vintage-looking atmosphere, perfect for Insta-worthy photos and girl talk. 

“I like my money right where I can see it … hanging in my closet!” – Carrie Bradshaw

Carrie’s style, usually consisting of a Fendi baguette bag and a pair of Manolo Blahnik’s, has been a source of fashion inspiration since the show started airing. Her closet and shoe collection are swoon-worthy and pretty much what dreams are made of. To be like Carrie, you could pop into any department store, such as Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue or Holt Renfrew. However, if you’re really looking to make a statement (or going for a fancy dinner with your own Mr. Big), check out Divine Decadence Originals. A vintage women’s clothing boutique located at 128 Cumberland St., Divine Decadence Originals sells vintage couture such as event gowns, jewellery and more. Bonus: Lady Gaga and Kate Moss have also shopped there.

Drinks and date night

At the end of the day, when you’re done writing your column and finished your shopping excursion with the girls, it’s finally time to meet Mr. Big for drinks. Clockwork is a cocktail bar located inside the Fairmont Royal York, perfect for the busy downtown crowd. It’s ideal for a Friday night spent relaxing with a signature cosmopolitan and enjoying the ambience of the lounge with the one you love. Cheers!

Sara Marsetti

Toronto MU '22

Sara Marsetti is a journalism student at Ryerson University who loves all things film, fashion, and lifestyle. If she's not watching something on Netflix, you'll probably find Sara drinking her iced coffee with oat milk, half sweet, from Starbucks while doing her homework, or exploring the beautiful city of Toronto with her best friends.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.