‘House of Cards’ Brings Fantasy Excitement to Middle-Grade Readers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Disclaimer: Though I’ve never met Sara Ferrando Estarlich, I did know somewhat who she was before writing this review because we are both members of a Discord group called The Young Writers Initiative, where I had originally heard of her novel being published. This review isn’t paid for or sponsored in any way, and I bought this book myself. The following is a spoiler-free review.

I’ll be honest: I don’t read a lot of fantasy and I don’t usually like YA books. This isn’t to say I hate either of these things (I love books with a little magic, and who doesn’t enjoy some teen cheesiness every once in a while?), but I definitely tend to gravitate toward contemporary or historical fiction. Sara Ferrando Estarlich’s debut novel, House of Cards, however, is a book that brings something new to the fantasy genre: inclusion and accessibility.

I think what turns people away from reading fantasy is how huge the books tend to be. Authors like Brandon Sanderson dominate the genre, writing about expansive universes contained within numerous refrigerator-sized novels. And that’s awesome; it’s the in-depth detail that makes the words on the page really come to life for the reader. But if you aren’t used to reading a series with 12 books, each with 2,000 pages, well, it can be tough to break into — especially if you’re 14 years old.

House of Cards, the first book in Estarlich’s Tale of the Godless series, is one of a kind for new readers. The book is set in a distant future with the main protagonist, Alice, learning that, despite the fact that she has amnesia, the world is not actually how it seems. The book is less than 300 pages, but Estarlich makes sure each chapter counts. Language used throughout the novel is conversational, making it easy for young readers to understand. When Alice is introduced to unsavoury government members, she talks the same way I would if I was a teenager, making me seriously wish I had this book when I was in high school. The book has compelling characters, each with their own personalities and perceptions about what’s actually happening in the authoritative government. Though the book starts by following a character without memories, it was never challenging for me to follow along.

I would recommend this novel to anyone between the ages of 12-15. It’s the perfect introduction to an amazing fantasy world with magic, dystopian tech and mystery. Estarlich created a book that’s enjoyable for people who may think fantasy worlds are over-complex and hard to understand. The novel is short but the dialogue between the characters is so natural, witty and realistic. The plot lines flow together seamlessly and it’s easy to understand why the characters all have great relationships with one another. This is especially true for Alice and Rick who have such strong chemistry despite the fact that she has no idea who he is because of her amnesia. It genuinely feels like I’m listening to a group of friends trying to figure out what’s real in their world and what isn’t. 

Regardless of your age, House of Cards is a great novel that constantly leaves the reader wanting more. The book is fast-paced, which is expected with any short novel, however, readers may find this refreshing considering the length of conventional fantasy novels. Tale of the Godless is not tedious to get through, in fact, one can probably finish it in a day or two.

If you’re looking for a diverse fantasy novel, this is the book for you. LGBTQ+ characters come from all sorts of backgrounds in this novel, just like in real life. Reading a male character casually talk about his husband was so significant. House of Cards is the type of book I wish I had when I was in middle school. Not only is it inclusive, but the tone in which this novel is written makes me hopeful for the next generation of writers.

Asha Swann

Toronto MU '22

Asha Swann is a Journalism student at Ryerson University in Toronto. She enjoys writing about travel, veganism, women's issues, ethics, climate change, and anything that makes her brain tick. You can read more of her writing at ashaswann.com