‘Harry Potter and the Cursed Child’: A magical experience indeed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

J.K. Rowling, author of the seven-novel series, not only has a 10-year production film series, but she now also has a play of her eighth Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

The play is in Toronto’s CAA Ed Mirvish Theatre, and tickets must be purchased in advance.

Ticket prices can range from $89 to over $199 CAD depending on where you want to sit. The attire is business casual, but guests are welcome to dress up in any Harry Potter costumes.

The concession stand holds a variety of Harry Potter-inspired snacks and beverages (alcoholic or non-alcoholic), like chocolate frogs and the Leaky Cauldron’s infamous butterbeer. Besides food, other concession stands carry Harry Potter merchandise like house scarves, hats, cloaks, tote bags and wands!

Instead of following the perspective of the beloved trio, Harry, Hermione and Ron, we now immerse ourselves in the life of Harry’s son, Albus Severus Potter and his adventure attending Hogwarts. Without sharing too much of what unfolds in the story, let’s just say Albus goes through many trials and tribulations to change what fate has brought upon him with the help of a contraband time-turner. 

This is definitely a better experience if you have read or watched J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series filled with magic, adventure and maybe even some mischief.

But here are some other tips that may make your experience better.

1. Arrive at least 30 minutes to an hour before the play begins

From experience, and especially if you are just as short as I am, I highly recommend arriving at least 30 minutes to an hour before the show begins. The lobby can get really crowded, and you definitely do not want to get lost or trampled on.

2. Use the bathroom before the show begins

Even if you don’t feel like you have to use the washroom, you may as well go before the show starts. It disrupts everyone’s magical experience when you have to go during the play, and you may have to wait until the scene changes or intermission to get back to your seat.

3. Follow theatre etiquette

Like movie theatres, make sure your phones are turned off or put them on silent. Don’t talk excessively during the play and try not to snack too loudly.

As for my overall experience of the play, no words can describe how much I loved it. The actors’ performances reflected the characters well, and the special effects made the play feel magical. I wasn’t actually expecting it to be that good when I first purchased tickets, but it ended up surpassing my expectations. My absolute favourite part of the play was how well connected it was to the previous Harry Potter books. I really enjoyed this play and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to have a magical experience. The play is available to watch until the end of June 2023.

Kathryn Sevilla

Toronto MU '23

I am a 4th year English major at Ryerson University. As my aspirations grow, I am writing to connect with readers in everyday situations, problems, and feelings. Here to make all audiences feel relevant and heard one article at a time. Content may include and is not limited to social injustices, your daily news, mental health and wellness, and style and beauty.