This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Though brands like Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Dior have been at the forefront of high fashion for decades, lately, they’ve been overshadowed by brands like The North Face, Patagonia and Arc’teryx in fashion’s latest trend: Gorpcore. 

So what is gorpcore? In simple terms, “gorp” is short for Good Ol’ Raisins and Peanuts, or trail mix, a hiker’s go-to snack whilst on an adventure. By adding the term core at the end, fashion mongers and young adult TikTokers alike have coined the name of a new fashion style. Though the style, commenced with Frank Ocean’s appearance at Paris Fashion Week wearing Mammut and Arc’teryx in 2019, the aesthetic has become so much more in the past few years.

By definition, gorpcore is the marriage between mountain gear and streetwear in a seamlessly fashion-forward collaboration that is ‘fit-check worthy. Gorpcore makes everyone look like they’re headed to the great outdoors without actually having to step foot in a forest.

At its center, this fashion style is focused on functionality that looks cool and the blend of several elements to create the ultimate sidewalk statement. There are several things to consider when putting together a gorpcore outfit; volume, layers, colours and logos.

Gorpcore is the opposite of minimalistic. Coats are oversized to allow for layering, pants have multiple pockets for all the essentials, and fleece sweaters are loose-fitting for a relaxed, just-threw-this-on look. It’s best if these pieces are worn in and pre-loved to top off the comfortable vibe.

Once volume has been solidified, mastering layers is the next and most important step in achieving a gorpcore look. There is a certain technicality to properly layering your pieces; hard shell windbreakers go over fleece vests that go over breathable base layers etc.

Finally, colours and logos are essential in the process of building the perfect gorpcore look. Generally, alpine gear comes in various bright colours like red, orange, purple and yellow, so gorpcore tends to be a very colourful fashion style. Ensuring you choose a good mix of contrasting, neutral tones to accompany the pop of colour you’ve incorporated into your outfit is very important. In addition, gorpcore is all about the credibility of your pieces and the way to accomplish this is by showing your logos.

Many of the outerwear brands in gorpcore aesthetic are not very budget-friendly, so it may seem that this fashion style is out of reach. However, a lot of these brands have been around for decades, so there are countless avenues for finding their pieces second-hand in thrift shops or online consignment stores. Some brands like Arc’teryx and Patagonia even have a website dedicated to selling certified used gear. Gorpcore is not a gatekept fashion style, and if done smartly, it can be done at a completely affordable price. So, whether or not you’ve hiked in BC, you can rock a gorpcore look on any day of the week.

🩴 Related: “Are Crocs Making a Comeback?”
I'm Sam and I'm a Media Production student minoring in Global Politics at TMU! You can usually catch me thrifting, running or buying too many books. I love to over analyze films and write about them.