Five Ways to Celebrate Halloween, Socially-Distanced-Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays. I love planning out my costume months ahead, hosting large parties with my friends, and greeting young trick or treaters with candy. However, there is nothing scarier than an airborne virus, and many of these cherished traditions might need to adhere to the global pandemic that continues to loom over us. Here is a list of safe and responsible ways to celebrate this spooky season!

Host a movie marathon

There is no better time to curl up on the couch with some popcorn and watch a scary movie than on Halloween night. You can host a virtual watch party! If you have a projector and a blank screen (or feel like renting one), you can do this outdoors. Invite a couple of friends or neighbors and place chairs within six feet from one another, or host a virtual screening through Netflix Party. Some of my favorite terrifying films are Hereditary, Rosemary’s Baby, and the Exorcist. If you would rather watch something more lighthearted and family-friendly, then I recommend Hocus Pocus, Nightmare Before Christmas, or Coraline. 

Drive through Haunted Houses

Driving through a haunted house is an excellent alternative to the confined space and physical contact of a regular Haunted House. You can experience the same terror and jump scares from the safety of your car with an audio recording to guide you on the journey. The only caveat to a drive-through haunted house is that there are no emergency exits, so for those faint of the heart won’t be able to leave halfway. If this sounds exciting to you, make sure to find a haunted drive-through near your town and book tickets early as they expect a high turnout this Halloween. 

Attend a Pumpkin Patch 

If the weather is nice Halloween night, and you are in the mood for outdoor activity, consider visiting a pumpkin patch. You can carve some pumpkins, buy some treats at the farm bakery, and hang out with your friends. Maintaining distance in these outdoor spaces is much more comfortable. But make sure to bring a mask to use when entering washrooms and apply hand sanitizer before touching any pumpkins!

Create goodie bags for trick or treaters 

Although the one-on-one interaction of trick or treating won’t be happening, there are still ways to give treats to the neighborhood kids. Consider making a goodie bag instead of dumping candy into a bowl that several people will repeatedly touch with their hands. Much like a party favor, you can use plastic wrap or cardboard boxes to make these goodie bags and be as creative as you want with the designs. Then, place it outside your door for trick or treaters to quickly pick up. 

Engage in a Haunted Virtual Escape Room 

If you cannot spend time with friends in-person during Halloween, having an activity like a haunted virtual escape room is an excellent activity during the spooky season while avoiding the awkward silences of a zoom call. Virtual escape rooms are becoming more popular due to the pandemic; while it may not be as interactive, it can be just as fun and challenging as the real thing. I recommend contacting your local escape room to see if they have virtual options. 

Asritha Swaminadhan is a student at Ryerson University in the beautiful city of Toronto, Canada! Studying media production with a minor in English and marketing, she has a passion for journalistic writing, art, fitness, and going to the cinema every week. Her favourite film of all time is Ladybird!
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.