Life > Experiences

Extra Busy? Here Are Some Extracurriculars That Are Sure To Fit In Your Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Having been in the performing arts since I was four years old, along with countless short-lived sports escapades, I’ve never really gone a week without participating in extracurriculars.

Every Tuesday, I’d be driven to drama class, followed by play rehearsal on Wednesday and piano and vocal lessons on Thursday. Even though it got tiring at times — mostly for my parents I’d think — I wouldn’t stop doing any of it even if I was forced to.

That is, until I got to university, of course.

Immediately being thrown onto a huge campus with a completely new, and may I say fairly busy schedule, left me little time to figure anything out — especially where the POD building is.

(I still don’t know).

I blamed my lack of time on the situation I was in, but once I started my classes and noticed some of my friends were already writing for publications or auditioning for the university musical, I immediately felt lost.

A word of advice? Don’t follow in my footsteps. 

Toronto Metropolitan University — like most colleges and universities — has tons of student groups, clubs and activities that you automatically have access to as a student. Most of the time, a list of these organizations can be found on the school’s website or community boards across your campus. 

Catering to students from all programs, most, if not all of these clubs won’t interfere with your somewhat… oh, who are we kidding, VERY busy schedules.

Just take it from third-year media production student Idy Barry.

Barry, who grew up participating in many extracurriculars such as choir, theatre, volleyball and track, moved from the U.S. to Canada for university and almost immediately joined clubs.

“I was really nervous about making friends and meeting people … I was researching basically anything to kind of get involved in school.”

In balancing a part-time job and her school schedule, she’s still able to participate in Met-TV’s comedy sketch show Yikes! and Toronto Metropolitan Theatre Company’s annual productions.

“Theatre is such a community-based activity, and I feel like I’ve really built a family in that,” she said. “I met my roommate through it.”

Although these are all fine-art-based student groups, there’s no shortage of clubs for students in all kinds of programs and with all kinds of interests. With over 400 groups across campus, you’re sure to find something that fits your needs.

Here are a few to get you started:

The Faculty of Arts and the creative school 

The Faculty of Engineering and Architectural Science and the Faculty of Science

Ted Rogers School of Management 

Recreational Clubs

And that’s just the beginning! If you’re looking at these options and still really don’t want to add more to your schedule, there are tons of support groups, course unions or cultural and religious clubs you can join.

No matter what you choose to do, the benefits are endless. A social network with connections? Check. Friends with similar interests and experiences? Check. An outlet to relieve stress? Check. A good-looking resume? Check.

Not to mention that you can join most of them at any time — even in your third year, like I did! 

And to any oncoming students who may be reading this, please, please, please check out the student clubs before the semester starts. It may be daunting, but I promise you that once you’re running through campus trying to find the POD building five minutes before your next lecture, you’ll wish you knew someone who did. (And trust me on that one).

If I haven’t said it enough already, participating in extracurriculars is one of the most rewarding things about university life. You can count on the benefits and the friendships continuing past graduation.

“I’ve met so many cool people, and I’ve had so many opportunities, even outside the activities,” said Barry. “We all help each other. I just really recommend it.”

Katarina Zeni

Toronto MU '25

Katarina Zeni is a third-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. Having grown up in a small town out of the city and since having moved into the GTA, she has come across many different and fascinating stories, and people, in her everyday life. With a background in the arts and a passion for writing, Katarina seeks to use her experiences to highlight all the important moments in the everyday. Whether it’s a script, a poem, a novel, or a news story, she believes there’s always something to be written. Off the record (and off the clock), Katarina can be found watching her favourite 90s romcoms, checking out a new film in the cinema, or cuddling up to her cat Iris with a good book in hand. Follow her journey on Instagram @zenikatarina!