Carving Out a Space: A Guide to Study Areas at Ryerson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

It is no surprise that students have a hard time finding space to study at Ryerson. During exam time especially, you might as well bring some boxes, cushions and blankets and build a fort at the study space because when you leave, someone else claims that space, and there’s only a slim chance of getting it back. While some students find themselves waking up at 6 am in the morning to find the best study spots so they can study there all day or at least till class starts, others end up commuting back home or slump somewhere on the third floor of the SLC hoping someone nearby leaves soon. It’s basically the story of my life! 

The underlying story is that Ryerson is home to many international students and commuting students coming from as far and beyond as Mississauga, Richmond Hill, Ajax, Brampton and Barrie. These students commute to campus for hours on a daily basis carrying heavy backpacks filled with textbooks, laptops and binders, only to be greeted with a lack of study space. It becomes a chore to walk around and try to find space carrying these backpacks as it is, as if you’re carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders. I should know- during my first year of university I carried a backpack that contained probably 1/8th of my belongings. I carried everything! Just in case. And this was before the SLC was built. I remember dark times; sitting on the 8th floor of the library, hidden behind a tall shelf hoping someone would just get up and leave. However, over the years, I’ve come to find out that other options exist.  These are some of the best places to study on campus, at least according to me:

1.    The Student Learning Centre– One of the newest buildings on the block, it is one of the most architecturally magnificent. It houses eights floors, consisting of unique interiors and themes on each floor. 

2.    Empty classrooms– Each classroom is not necessarily occupied every moment of the day. So if you need to get some studying done and happen to find an empty classroom somewhere on campus, at Ker Hall or at Ted Rogers perhaps, put it to good use.

3.    Sally Horsefall Eaton Centre– This building is probably the furthest building on campus, housed at the end of the Mutual and Gerrard intersection. It’s quiet and has plenty of desk space and highly underappreciated. 

4.    The Library– It is certainly big and majestic and contains plenty of desks and study rooms. These rooms can be booked straight from the Ryerson app on a smart phone or on the library website. 

5.    Ted Rogers School of Management- Home to the business faculty, it’s got the charm of a professional environment especially with students in suits walking by, but it’s also got plenty of study tables, study rooms and comfortable couches. It is also accessible through the underground path from Dundas station. 

6.    George Vari Engineering and Computing Centre– It is home to the engineering faculty; it has got everything you need for a quiet study session. 

7.    Pitman Hall Cafeteria– This warm and cozy cafeteria is definitely undervalued. It has lots of delicious food, abundant tables & chairs, and some really comfortable couches at the back. 

If this doesn’t work for you, plenty of other options exist. Toronto is one of the most amazing metropolitan cities in the world. It’s the “6ix” after all, a city which is home to more than two million people and a city inviting to many tourists. Ryerson is fortunate enough to be situated in the downtown district of Toronto, in a very convenient location close to many famous landmarks, restaurants, shopping malls, theatres and super markets. Since finding space at Ryerson has clearly become an issue, reaching outside the walls of Ryerson to make accommodations can be an answer.  

So, according to me here are some options off campus, you should try out if you can’t find space in school:

1.    Go home- There’s nothing better than to study in the comfort of your own home. Perhaps make some spicy ramen to go while you study. Maybe that commute wasn’t needed after all. 

2.    Balzacs- This quaint little overpriced coffee place is quite the comfortable option conveniently located on campus but tends to get packed during the day. If you find space, pat yourself on the back for a job well done.  

3.    Go to the Public library- The Toronto Reference library is situated mere blocks away from the campus. There’s plenty of space and there’s plenty or resources. 

4.    The Urban eatery at Eaton center- It is another popular spot, the food court at Eaton Centre that’s especially deserted before 11 am. Grab a bite to eat from any of the food vendors and find a cozy spot preferably in a nice little corner.

5.    The McDonalds on 470 Yonge street- It is one of my favorite places for a study session. Taking a fish fillet burger to go I find myself a table on the upper floor. It is comfortable, cozy and there’s free wifi. 

And in the meantime, look out for the ongoing building projects that will be unveiled in the near future. Ryerson is expanding every year in prestige, number of students and now… space! Ryerson’s upcoming building projects include the Daphne Sciences Health Science Complex, the Ryerson Lab at MaRS, the Ryerson Theatre School and the Jarvis Street Residence. 

Law and business undergraduate. Family and faith above all ! Inspire yourself through the actions you do.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.