Riley Keough and Sam Claflin in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell / Prime Video

Books To Pick Up If You’re In A ‘Daisy Jones & the Six’ Withdrawal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

If you’ve spent any time on social media, chances are you’ve seen Daisy Jones & the Six content filling up your feed. The book, by Taylor Jenkins Reid, was a smashing success when it was published in 2019. It was recently adapted into a much anticipated Amazon Prime mini-series starring Riley Keough and Sam Claflin. Not only does the show fully capture the sex, drugs and rock-and-roll of the ’70s, but it’s also the first time a fictional band ranked number one on iTunes. 

If you’re wondering what all the fuss is about, the story follows the rise and subsequent fall of a 1970s rock group. Years later, the band finally decides to reveal their reason for breaking up.

So, if you just finished the final episode that aired a few days ago and are looking for something to fill the gap as you await the next Taylor Jenkins Reid adaption (or are just looking for some books with edgy ’70s music vibes), you’re going to want to add these books to the list. 

The Final Revival of Opal & Nev by Dawnie Walton 

This book follows the rise of the iconic 1970s Afro-Punk duo Opal and Nev through their short-lived rise to fame. Later, when Opal considers a reunion with Nev, everything is thrown into turmoil when an allegation about the duo comes to light. Just like Daisy Jones, this book is set in the same time period and is also told through an oral history format. It explores how sexism, racism and the historical past shape the music industry. 

You can purchase the book here

Making Rumours by Ken Caillat and Steven Stiefel 

This book delves into the real-life inspiration for Daisy Jones and the Six — the legendary rock band Fleetwood Mac. Here, Ken Caillat, one of the co-producers of the band’s iconic 1977 album Rumours, transports readers back to the mid-1970s to recount all that went on while making the album, including drama, partying and heartbreak. 

You can purchase the book here

Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau 

This novel follows Mary Jane, a 14-year-old growing up in 1970s Baltimore. Mary Jane’s life is pretty bland until one summer when she lands a job as the nanny for a psychiatrist’s daughter. She thinks the family is normal, that is, until one of the psychiatrist’s patients, who happens to be a famous rock star, moves in with the family for the summer. This book perfectly captures the 1970s through the eyes of an inexperienced teenager learning about the world of sex, drugs and rock-and-roll for the first time. 

You can purchase the book here

The Girls by Emma Cline 

If you are looking for a book that transports you into the past as Daisy Jones does, this is it. Set in 1960s California, this book follows a young teenager named Evie as she becomes involved in a cult-like group of girls. It explores the allure of the hippie commune atmosphere of the mid-60s, which is also when Daisy Jones begins. Also, the relationship between Evie and the group’s charismatic leader is reminiscent of the dynamic between co-lead singers Daisy Jones and Billy Dunne in Daisy Jones and the Six

You can purchase the book here.

Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Of course, this list would not be complete without another Taylor Jenkins Reid book. This book follows Nina Riva and her siblings, the children of one the biggest rock stars of all time. Set in 1983, Nina is hosting her annual exclusive summer party. It’s all going well until the party ends in devastation and secrets come pouring out. This novel is perfect if you can’t get enough of TJR’s writing style and want to read about another powerful female protagonist that explores the concept of fame in the past. 

You can purchase the book here

So, if you’ve devoured the book, binged the entire show and are wondering what the heck to read next, these books will satisfy the rock-and-roll-sized hole in your heart. From complex relationships to strong female leads and the stories behind real-life bands, these books are all worth the read.

Julia Tramontin

Toronto MU '24

Julia is a storyteller and bookworm based in Toronto, Canada and is currently pursuing a degree in journalism. Julia believes storytelling has the power to create change and is particularly interested in stories about feminism, mental wellness, and literature. When she's not hanging out with her two dogs, she can be found with her nose in a book.