books and stationary with skull on top
books and stationary with skull on top
Photo by Melissa Constandse

The Best Romance Novels I’ve Read Over Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Quarantine has given a lot of us the opportunity to try new things (I know a lot of us have developed a new passion for baking bread). It has also made it possible for us to make time for old hobbies. I have always used reading to unwind and entangle myself in a fantasy world, but it had always been hard to find the time to do anything leisurely while being committed to so many things. I decided I would use quarantine to get back to the things I loved and so I ordered four romance novels from Indigo. I am going to give you a quick run down and hopefully inspire you to get some romance into your life. 

via GIPHY

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne 

Not to be dramatic or anything, but this has got to be my all time favourite book. I am a sucker for a classic romance story. You know the classic tale of a man and woman who never cared much for each other until they were forced to interact and take their blinders off, revealing that they were actually perfect for eachother? Cheesy? Yes, but the absolute best. The Hating Game follows the story of Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman as they navigate their relationship from being annoyed by the littlest thing the other does, only seeing their differences, to actually getting to know each other for who they really are. To top it off, they are fighting for the same promotion at the publishing company they both work at.  I laughed and I cried, and I reread. I would definitely recommend this novel, over and over again. 

The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang 

I’ve read other books by Helen Hoang and she honestly doesn’t disappoint. The Kiss Quotient follows the story of Stella Lane, a smart and successful career woman, who lacks experience with men and relationships. She decides to hire an escort, Michael Phan, to help her gain more confidence. As their fake relationship keeps taking the next step, Stella begins to wonder how love had ever felt so unnatural to her. I think this book is a great read, it contains a lot of real life issues that will not only help you better understand the characters, but also relate and connect to them on a deeper level. 

via GIPHY

Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey 

Travis Ford is back at home after an injury ended the height of his career. It is here, back at his roots, that he realises the support and love he needed may have been a lot closer than he ever could have thought (His friend’s little sister who’s been in love with him her whole life… eek!). The plot may be a little played out, but if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it! Georgette Castle and her family run a local home renovation business. Georgette’s brother Stephan just happens to be Travis’ best friend. From fake dating to real dating and everything in between, this novel is a must-read. 

via GIPHY

Faker by Sarah Smith 

Sarah Smith introduces the reader to Emmie Echavarre, a tough woman fighting to be respected and taken seriously at her job working for a power tool company. When she is forced to work with Tate Rasmussen, her hostile coworker that does anything but make an effort to get to know her, their relationship is definitely bound to change. As you can probably tell, I love a good work feud turned to a lover situation. I mean a lot of people do say that love and hate are two of the most similar emotions, right? I would for sure recommend reading this novel for a dose of wit and heart, you will definitely be seeing at least a little bit of yourself in Emmie (which is always more enjoyable to read!) 

Although I know romance novels are not everybody’s cup of tea, it is so hard to not love love, and if you do then I need you to teach me how. It is so easy to get caught up in a small fantasy world in which the girl always ends up with the boy. I know this isn’t realistic, but it’s a pretty great piece of fiction to read! If you do have the free time to get lost in this fantasy, then I do highly recommend the books above. 

via GIPHY

Marina Arnone

Toronto MU '21

Marina is a fourth year English student at Ryerson University. She loves to write about beauty and fashion with the hopes of creating a little escape from everyday life! As a huge astrology fan, Marina identifies as a true Pisces and romanticizes every inch of life. She hopes to create articles that will inspire others the same way she has been so inspired by writing!
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.