Style > Beauty

A Beginner’s Guide To Glossier 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Here’s What’s worth buying when the brand launches at Sephora 

Cult minimal makeup brand Glossier headed to Sephora with a release date of Feb. 23. This being the first time their products are available in stores other than their own eight flagship locations across the USA and UK, meaning big news for shoppers across Canada and the USA who could previously only buy products online. 

As a long-time Glossier fanatic with an unruly collection of unneeded makeup and skincare items, I’m here to tell you what is and isn’t worth your hard-earned dollars when the Glossier displays pop up in Sephora.

Starting With Skincare

Milky Jelly Cleanser is my go-to cleanser. It’s gentle yet gets the job done and leaves my skin feeling not only clean but refreshed. I recommend this product over their other cleansers, including the Cleanser Concentrate or Milky Oil, any day. These two cleansers are both advertised as a deeper clean, which will rid your face of any makeup, but I feel the Milky Jelly Cleanser does the job just as well. 

As for moisturizer, you can’t go wrong with the Priming Moisturizer, whether in the original, rich or balanced variety. The choice really comes down to your skin type, but all three products serve their purpose and add hydration. As someone with dry skin this winter, I would highly recommend the Priming Moisturizer Rich as a reparative and soothing cream. 

Now for the speed round:

Futuredew: Not worth it; it just feels sticky. Try wearing some sunscreen instead to achieve a glow. 

Moisturizing Moon Mask: If you want to pamper yourself, go for it. It’s a nice soothing mask but not necessary. Its sister, the Mega Greens Galaxy Pack, is definitely not worth the price, no different than any other detoxifying mask. 

Solution: If you’re really looking for some next-level skincare, I would recommend this product. If you struggle with dead skin or acne scars and want to renew your skin, this might be worth the try; otherwise, it’s probably not needed. 

Balm Dotcom: This product is a fan favourite for a reason. With nine different flavours and tints available, Balm Dotcom is a moisturizing and nourishing go-to for me. The brand recently released a new formula I’ve yet to try but will be sure to pick up once it arrives in stores. 

On To Makeup 

After your skincare is applied, it’s time to move on to enhancing your skin, but Glossier may not be the place to find your new favourite facial products. The Perfecting Skin Tint is advertised as a “sheer skin enhancer,” but sheer may be an understatement. As someone who rarely wears foundation, I find the skin tint makes no difference. The Stretch Concealer is much more pigmented and does the job of covering blemishes, but it’s rather oily and needs to be paired with powder and reapplied throughout the day. 

After the base is complete, however, Glossier steps up the game. My all-time favourite product and daily go-to Cloud Paint is one of the brand’s more iconic items, but the product is renowned for more than just the packaging. This gel-cream blush comes in eight versatile shades and can be used for more than just blush. I tend to wear the easy to apply product as both blush and eyeshadow, having found that one tube will last a lifetime. Paired with the equally easy-to-apply yet subtle, Haloscope highlighter, you can achieve the perfect glowing, dewy, warm look. 

Lips can be the star of the show with the right product, and Ultralip is the product to make that happen. The creamy formula with a glossy finish makes your lips pop while feeling nourished and naked. Their original lipstick and matte formula, Generation G, is also one of my recommendations, but it’s not as noticeable or long-lasting, serving more of a classic lip. Despite the name Glossier, their Lip Gloss is a hard pass, being extremely sticky and leaving only a temporary finish; I’d opt for a cheaper option. 

To finish off the look is eyes. Two products I love but wish I could love more are the Lash Slick mascara and Pro Tip liquid eyeliner. Lash Slick provides the ideal minimal mascara look without clumping by lengthening and separating lashes, while Pro Tip’s brush applicator makes the eyeliner easy to apply with an easy-to-control pen. Both dark black and well-pigmented, I love these products while they last, but unfortunately, they don’t. I have ordered both of these products multiple times and have found time and time again that they dry up extremely quickly, meaning I never really got the bang for my buck.

Bonus! 

Glossier You is my signature scent and the brand’s only fragrance. While still a bit pricey, the perfume is more affordable than many luxury fragrances, and its sweet aromas are worth every penny. The simple yet unique fragrance is definitely worth at least testing once it comes to stores. 

Many of the products I tried from Glossier were thanks to seasonal sales and discounted sets and kits. I’m curious if similar sets will be available at Sephora as they make the brand much more affordable. If they aren’t, perhaps keep in mind the option of testing the products in stores and ordering on the Glossier site for a discounted rate. 

Nalyn Tindall

Toronto MU '25

Nalyn is a second year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University, originally from Camrose, Alberta. She is loving living in Toronto and can often be found exploring the city with her friends. When not at a concert or finding new places to eat or take photos, she's probably watching videos or listening to music. She has a love of house plants, her cat, and snacks, as well as a passion for politics and social change which have inspired her to pursue journalism.