Another Great album to jam out to at midnight – Arctic Monkeys “The Car”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Arctic Monkeys are an English rock band most notably known for their 2013 album, AM. This album was a big part of the 2010s Tumblr era and would dominate Tumblr posts at the time. After releasing their 2018 album Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino, the band announced a hiatus. Now, after their four-year break, their most recent album, The Car, dropped on October 21st, 2022. 

The Car consists of 10 tracks titled:  

1. There’d Better Be A Mirrorball
  2. I Ain’t Quite Where I Think I Am 
  3. Sculptures Anything Goes
  4. Jet Skis On The Moat 
  5. Body Paint 
  6. The Car 
  7. Big Ideas 
  8. Hello You 
  9. Mr Schwartz 
  10. Perfect Sense 

My personal favourite tracks are “There’d Better Be A Mirrorball,” which sets up the album perfectly as an introduction. It has a pleasant rhythm while being eerie and sad. “I Ain’t Quite Where I Think I Am” has a groovy tune with some funky guitar licks, drawing a lot of similarity to David Bowie’s music in his Young Americans and Station to Station albums.

Lead singer Alex Turner’s songwriting never ceases to amaze, however, the tune and melody for all the tracks aren’t quite distinguishable. They all pretty much seem like the same song in different fonts. This can be nice, too, since having a consistent sound to all the tracks gives the listener an incentive to pay more attention to the words sung by Turner.

While Taylor Swift rightfully continues to get all the love and attention for her new album Midnights, consider adding some of the Arctic Monkey’s tracks to your late-night playlist when you are feeling nostalgic about your past romances. 

🎤 Related: Behind Arctic Monkeys’ Songwriting: Get To Know More About Alex Turner’s “Lyrical” Side
Asritha is a student at Ryerson University in the beautiful city of Toronto Canada. Studying media production with a minor in English and Marketing she has a passion for journalistic writing, art, fitness, and going to the cinema every week with her friends. Particularly fond of chick flicks and the coming of age genre, her favorite movies are bridesmaids, clueless, and ladybird.