This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

In the last few months, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) has been experiencing an increasing amount of violent incidents, causing a lot of fear among the public. This has impacted many people in Toronto where the most accessible form of transportation is the TTC.

For instance, the city is home to various commuter-majority universities and colleges such as Toronto Metropolitan University, University of Toronto, George Brown College and more. Students who often use the TTC to travel to their university consider the commute a scary part of their day.

At the peak of this violence, police decided to put around 80 officers on the TTC lines to ensure the safety of passengers. When entering the subway station, you would see police officers guarding and offering help to anyone who needed it.

However, the community questioned whether this has made a difference in combating the issue or if more could be done.

According to CBC, August Puranauth, a transit advocate, said that although having police officers on the TTC brings more safety, they are still not trying to fix the “root causes of crime,” saying alternatives should be explored.

On the other hand, Toronto police chief Myron Demkiw said many arrests have already been made due to the increase in police presence on TTC platforms. Since late January, there have been 314 arrests.

When riding the TTC, being aware of your surroundings is always important. While it’s easy to get distracted by scrolling on your phone or zoning out while listening to music, victims who appear inattentive may sometimes be the easiest targets.

It’s also always important to stay together if you are travelling in a group and keep an eye out for any suspicious activity. If you find yourself in the middle of an incident, hopping off the train and waiting for the next one would be best.

Due to the increased violence, many have been changing their habits when taking the TTC to prioritize their well-being and safety.

According to a Global News report, an Ipsos poll was conducted to see how people in Toronto feel riding public transit compared to other parts of Canada.

The poll showed that the issue lies in downtown Toronto, in the 416 area, where there have recently been a lot of incidents. Some of the data included 25% of respondents saying they still feel unsafe when travelling with friends or family compared to a national 15%. Not only this, but habits have also changed among riders. Nineteen percent have avoided travelling at night, 17% are now taking extra precautions, while 14% have stopped using the TTC entirely.

Despite the increase in violence, some commuters can not afford to kick the TTC out of their lives because it’s their main and most cost-efficient form of transportation.

According to CP24, the TTC has launched new safety reporting measures for those riding the subway. Some of these include texting a tip to the following TTC number: 647-496-1940. Riders and employees can also fill out a web form at ttc.ca. There is also the SafeTTC app, which riders can use to report any suspicious activity or incidents taking place.

Now that the increased policing in the TTC has ended, the city has provided these safety tips to help stop the spread of violence on the TTC.

Krishika Jethani

Toronto MU '23

Hi! My name is Krishika and I am a student at Toronto Metropolitan University. I am currently in the Creative Industries program studying Fashion and Journalism. I have a passion for writing and dream to someday become a journalist. I enjoy singing and watching Gilmore Girls in my free time! <3